Chapter 19 Meeting the parents

The next few days passed by normally. I paid more attention to my studies as some of the exams were coming up. It was all normal but I talked to Natalie very less. Our relationship had worsened over the days. I was a little nervous about going to Dan's mother's birthday. It was noon of her birthday when I realised I didn't have a dress to wear. I borrowed a blue trailing gown from Joy. It was encrusted with beads and has a glimmering shine to it. I put on a necklace with a diamond encrusted in the center. I wanted everything to be perfect for my first impression. Dan was waiting for me in front of the dorm gate. He was dressed in a black three piece suit. His hair was pushed back with gel. We walked to his car getting stares. It was very rare for anybody to dress fancy on a working day. We made our way to the car and Dan opened the front door for me. I looked at him with a confused look. He gestured to me to get in. I got in trying not to rip the dress apart. He gently shut the door and walked around the car to the driver's seat. He said that he will drive as his driver had called in sick. I chuckled at his words. He looked confused but didn't say another word. He drove to a street with big houses lining the roadside. We stopped in front of a big house. It was more like a mansion than a big house. We entered the mansion through a big metal gate shaped like a dragon. There were fountains and small china pots lining the garden. There were cars crowding the porsche. Dan stopped in front of the big mansion gate. He asked me to stay in. At first I wondered why but then I understood. He walked to my side of the car and opened the door for me. He brought his hand out and I grabbed it gently before coming out. He gestured to me to take his arm. Crossing our arms, we walked in to see a big chandelier hanging from the ceiling. A middle aged woman came rushing towards us and greeted us. Dan seemed to know her very well and he put on a cute smile. She told us that Dan's mother was in the room a floor up while taking our coats. We walked up slowly, still crossing arms. Dan and I entered a hall with a few people in it. Dan waved to a middle aged man. He walked towards us and hugged Dan. He turned to me still confused. Dan introduced me to the guy. He told me that he was his dad. He seemed excited. His dad said that it was the first time Dan had brought a girl home. We saw a lady walking towards us. Dan ran and hugged her. She was a beautiful lady with a kind smile. She brushed her fingers through Dan's hair. I guessed that she was Dan's mom. I greeted her with a kind smile and she returned that smile. Dan and I walked to a group of girls laughing hysterically. He tapped a girl on her shoulder. She looked a little younger than us. She hugged Dan. Dan whispered that she was his sister. At first I thought it was harmless but then I understood why he really said that. I slapped the back of his hand and he pouted saying ouch. I giggled. I had forgotten that his sister was still looking at us. I immediately turned around and greeted her. I introduced myself and she did the same. Her name was Eliza and she was 17. Dan left us to see somebody else. He patted me on the shoulder and whispered that I was going to be fine.I nodded. The girls surrounded me asking all types of questions. I told them all about the shooting. The music started to play all of a sudden and I turned my gaze to the dance floor. I found Dan's mom and Dad striding along the dance floor aligning the music. I saw a very handsome guy coming towards me. He had dark brown eyes and his tuxedo fit perfectly. His jawline was to die for. I was sure that girls were dying for him and guys were dying to be him. He brought his hand out and asked me if I wanted to dance with him. I was a little uncomfortable. I wanted to dance with Dan but he was nowhere to be found. As I was about to agree, I heard a familiar voice from behind. Dan was standing there with one of his best smiles on his face. He asked if I wanted to dance. I looked around to see the other guy with a calming smile on his face. I took a deep breath and took Dan's hand. We strided along the dance floor. He told me that I danced very well and that I danced better than his mom. I said that I will take that as a compliment. He chuckled at my words. I glared at him and he stopped laughing at once. He asked me that if he had not asked me to dance would I have taken Kevin's hand. I looked at him confused and asked who Kevin was. He told me that Kevin was the guy who had asked me to dance. I shook my head in a no. He looked at me and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear. I could feel myself blushing as we strided along the dance floor. I looked to the other side to avoid eye contact with Dan. I saw a girl batting her eyelashes and looking at me with an annoyed look. I looked to the other side. I asked myself if I made the right decision to come to this party.