Chapter 20 ~ The Griffin

The next morning we all head down to Gaius's chambers.

Lancelot sighs "Two yards of yale? Two miles, more like."

"Good morning Gentlemen and lady,  Don't look at it. Don't smell it. Just down it in one." Gaius hands Merlin and Lancelot the drinks.

Merlina and Lancelot down it and look disgusted, I'm happy I didn't have to drink that.

"Better? Good" Gaius smiles "Can't have you nodding off the first day on the job, Lancelot."

"That's Sir Lancelot if you don't mind" Merlin corrects.

We all laugh when two Guards suddenly walk in.

"What are you doing?" Merlin asks.

"King's orders," One guard says.

The two of them walk to us and grab Lancelot and pull him away.

"Stop," Merlin shouts.

They ignore Merlin and walk out with him.

I look at Merlin and start pacing.  Gaius quickly walks out to join the council.

"Merlin it's going to be okay," I try to reassure him.

"How do you know that.. this is my fault." Merlin sighs.

A while later Gaius comes back in. "He's been arrested,"

Merlin and I look at each other then ran to the door.

"Olivia..."  

I turn and look to Gaius 

"Arthur did try to help Lancelot, but Uther is stubborn he wouldn't  listen" 

I nod then ran out the door to the dungeons. Merlin and I enter the Dungeons and see Lancelot sitting on the floor looking lost and sad.

"I don't know what to say to you, Lancelot" Merlin sighs.

"You're not to blame," Lancelot states.

"Yes, I am. I pushed you, made you lie." 

Lancelot shakes his head  "The choice was mine, My punishment is mine to bear, and mine to bear alone," 

"This isn't right," I sigh "I wish there was something we could do." 

"There is," Lancelot nods. "You can stop blaming yourselves."

Merlin nods and leaves the dungeons, I turn and follow him.

We walk back into Gaius's chambers 

"Merlin, Olivia--"

I stop him "whatever you do please don't say I told you so" 

"I have no wish to gloat," Gaius states.

Merlin and I sit down on a chair

"What's done is done," Gaius looks back at his book "Here. Come and take a look at this."

Merlin and I get up and go look at what Gaius wanted to show us.

"I've realized my mistake. I've been looking for the creature in the wrong place-- in the records of all known living things in the kingdom. And then I thought 'But what about creatures only recorded in legend, In myth?' And I discovered this." Gaius says

He removes his hand from the book. Merlin and I look down at the picture.

"That's it that's the creature that attacked us," I state. "It's a... Griffin?

Gaius was about to say something when warning bells went off. We all looked at each other then walked over to the window and looked down. People were screaming and running away. I looked up and saw the griffin was at Camelot.