Chapter 12 ~ The Afanc

I look at my arms and see two really bad bruises on them. It was from the guards holding me earlier. I decide to grab a jacket so I could cover the bruises. Not even five minutes after I stormed into my room Gaius walked in.

"Before you say anything, we are going to the main water source to get a sample if you want to come," He says 

"Okay, I'll come," I say as I get up off my bed and follow Gaius out.

I come down the stairs just after Gaius and see him walking out the door with Merlin behind him. We walk around a place I've never been I look past Merlin and see Gaius with some keys he was going to open a door which I assumed led to the water source. When we walked Merlin grabbed a torch and it lit up the whole area it looked like we were in a cave I mean we technically were underground but something didn't feel right in here it felt almost... cold. We walked further in and then I saw the water source. 

"The water from here supplies the whole town," Gaius tells us. 

"Take a sample," Gaius says pointing at the water.

Merlin steps up onto the step that was there he opens his bag that was around his neck and takes a glass bottle out then puts his hand in the water and fills it up. He brings his hand out of the water and puts the lid back on the bottle. Merlin shows the bottle to Gaius 

Let's take it back and examine it" Gaius says.

Just as we began walking away we heard something emerge from the water the whatever came out of the water roared. Merlin Gaius and  I spin around and see this monster it looked like it was made of clay. Merlin on instinct steps forward to protect me. I smile, as big of an idiot he is I still love him.

As we turn around the monster plunged back into the water.

"What... the hell was that?" I ask 

Gaius doesn't answer he just grabs Merlin's arm and Merlin grabs mine and we all walkout. The walk back to Gaius's chambers was a silent one. Even though I had a million questions I decided to leave it.  When we get back to our chambers Gaius grabs a book from a shelf and starts looking through all the pages.

"Here," He says

Gaius stops at a page and points at it.

"It was an Afanc," Gaius says

"An-- A what?" Merlin asks

"A beast born of clay and conjured up by the most powerful sorcerer," Gaius explains, "Now we just have to find a way to defeat it, but where?" Gaius looks up at all his books.

Merlin and I look to where Gaius was looking. 

"That could take days," I say 

"Gwen would be dead by then," Merlin points out.

"Have you two got a better idea?" Gaius asks

I look up at merlin and I know he was thinking the same thing as me. We run outside and see that the fire was being built for Gwen to be burnt at the stake. We look at each other and run to the dungeons. 

Merlin stops "I'll meet you there," 

"Okay," I smile 

Merlin runs to where they were keeping Gwen, and I head to the dragon. I grab one of the torches that were lighting up the stairs grab it and continue down. I get into the big cavern and look around the dragon was nowhere to be seen.

"Hello!"  I shout

There was a long silence.

"Hello," Says the dragon