Chapter 83 ~ The truth of Arthur's birth

We arrive back in Camelot; Arthur jumps off his horse and grabs his sword; he puts it into his belt. Merlin and I jump off and follow him.

"What are you going to do?" Merlin asks

Arthur ignores him and walks into the palace.

"Merlin, Olivia. I'm relieved to see you're both safe," Gaius says while walking over to us. "Where's Arthur?"

Merlin and I walk away from Gaius and go to a secluded place.

"Arthur was born of magic", Merlin says. He looks at Gaius ", wasn't he?"

Gaius looks down at the floor.

"Uther used magic," I say.

"Merlin, Liv---" 

"All those people he's executed. He's as guilty as they are.  He sacrificed Arthur's mother. He as good as murdered her."  Merlin says

Gaius looks away from us like he couldn't face us.

"People should know what he did." I say, "How could you not tell us?" 

"I feared what Arthur would do if he ever found out," Gaius says

"Well, he's found out now," Merlin says

Merlin and I run up the stairs and sprint toward the courtroom where Uther and Arthur would probably be. We run down the passageway and up the stairs. We sprint down to the door and see Sir Leon guarding it. We run at Sir Leon, but he pushes us away. We try again, but he keeps pushing us back. In our final attempt, he pushes us against the wall.

"The king has forbidden anyone to enter!" Leon states.

"They're going to kill each other!" Merlin shouts

Leon looks at us. He lets us go through; we burst through the door and see Arthur holding his sword to Uther's chest.

Merlin runs forward. "Arthur! Don't!"

"I know you don't want to do this!" I say 

"My mother is dead because of him!" Arthur shouts.

"Killing him won't bring her back if anything; it will make it worse. If you kill him, you won't have any parents, and you will have to live with that regret on your shoulders for the rest of your life!" I say

"You've lost one parent. Do you really want to lose another?" Merlin asks

"Listen to them, Arthur", Uther says

He tightens the grip on his sword.

"Arthur... please," I say gently "Put the sword down."

"You heard what my mother said. After everything he has done, do you believe he deserves to live?" Arthur asks angrily. "He executed those who use magic, and yet he has used it himself! You have caused so much suffering and pain. I will put an end to that." 

I see Gaius walk into the room.

"Morgause lied. She's an enchantress. She tricked you." I say, "It was not your mother you saw. It was an illusion. Everything-- everything your mother said to you... they were lies; they were Morgause's words. Not your mothers."

"You don't know that!" Arthur shouts.

"This has been her plan all along, to turn you against your father, and if you kill him, the kingdom will be destroyed. This is what she wants." Merlin says

Arthur lowers the sword a bit.

"Listen to them. They're speaking the truth." Uther says

Arthur tightens the sword again. "Swear to me it isn't true. You were not responsible for my mother's death! Give me your word!"

"I swear on my life; I loved your mother. There isn't a day that passes that I don't wish that she was still alive. I could never have done anything to hurt her." Uther says.

Arthur falls to his knees in tears. All I wanted to do was run over to him and hug him, but I held myself back. I knew Uther would not take to that well.

"My son, you mean more to me than-- than anything," Uther says

 "Oh, lord. I'm sorry," Arthur says

"You are not to blame," Uther kisses Arthur's head.

The next day Merlin and I were in Arthur's chambers cleaning up. Arthur is staring out the window.

"I am indebted to you, Merlin, Liv.  I had become confused. It is once again clear to me that those who practice magic are evil and dangerous, and that is thanks to you two." Arthur says.

Merlin smiles. "Glad we could help."

Merlin and I walk back to Gaius's chambers, Merlin puts his bag on the table, and I see Uther. I hit Merlin in the arm, and he looks to where I was looking.

"My lord." Merlin and I say.

"I wanted to thank you two in person for your actions yesterday. You are loyal servants to Arthur. I am most grateful." Uther says.

"We were just doing our duty," Merlin says.

"You've proven yourselves to be trusted allies in the fight against magic, " Uther says.

"Us?" I ask

"Those who practice magic will seek to exploit Arthur's inexperience. They will attempt to corrupt him." Uther walks to us and stops right in front of us. "You must be extra vigilant."

"We will keep our eyes peeled," Merlin says

"I know you will," Uther walks toward the door then stops. 

Merlin and I turn to look at him; he looks at us.

"If you ever speak of what happened between myself and Arthur to another living soul, I will have you hanged." Uther heads back to the door.

"Right, of course. Yes, my lord." Merlin says

We bow as Uther walks away.

Gaius walks into his chambers," looking absolutely flustered.

"Is that Uther I saw just leaving?" Gaius asks

"Yeah. He just popped in to say hello." Merlin says

"Merlin, what did he want?" Gaius asks

"He wanted to thank us for being trust allies in the fight against magic," I explain.

Merlin looks utterly confused; he begins unpacking his bag. I go and help him.

"How you've managed to keep that head on your shoulders Is a mystery beyond—our greatest minds. Uther should be grateful. Your life would have been easier and safer if you had let him die," Gaius says.

Merlin and I were sitting on a chair, staring into space.

"You must've been tempted," Gaius says.

"Maybe for a moment, but Arthur wouldn't have been able to forgive himself if he'd gone through with it," Merlin says. "

"It would've destroyed him," I say 

"I'm proud of you both," Gaius says.

"Arthur's thanking us, Uther's grateful, you're proud. We've never been this popular." Merlin says

"I'm almost certain it won't last," Gaius says.

"Just... Let us enjoy the moment," I say, resting my feet on the table like Merlin.

We all start laughing. Gaius pushes our feet off the table.

"Enjoy the moment with your feet off the table," Gaius says