Chapter 14 ~ The Poison

Arthur bursts into Gaius's chambers with Merlin on his shoulder.

"Lay him on the bed quickly. He's struggling to breathe," Gaius orders

I help Arthur put Merlin on the bed.  

"Gwen, fetch me some water and a towel," Gaius instructs.

"Is he going to be alright?" Arthur ask.

I start pacing up and down in the room. Arthur looks at me stressing out. He gets up and grabs me.

"Olivia, Hey, he's is going to be okay!" Arthur tells me.

"How do you know?" I ask 

"Because... Merlin is a fighter,"  he says to me.

Gwen comes running back into the room with water and a cloth. Arthur lets go of me as she runs in but he still stands near me.

"You can heal him, can't you, Gaius?" she asks

Gaius takes the cloth from Gwen "I won't know until I can identify the poison, pass me the goblet,"

Arthur and I walk forward and we kneel down next to Merlin, I begin stroking his head. A tear rolls down my cheek. Gwen passes the Goblet to Gaius and he begins examining it.

"There's something stuck on the inside," Gaius says.

Arthur stands up and walks to Gaius "What is it?" 

Gwen was tending to Merlin so I get up and go to Arthur and Gaius.

"It looks like a flower petal of some kind," Gaius says

He holds the petal into the light. Gaius goes to grab a book and Arthur was examining the goblet. I walk over to Gaius. He turns to a page in his book.

"Ahh, the petal comes from the Mortaeus flower,"  Gaius says

Arthur comes to stand next to me and looks at the book.

"It says here that someone poisoned by the Mortaeus can only be saved by a potion made from the leaf of the very same flower. It can only be found in the caves deep beneath the forest of Balock. The flower grows on the roots of the Mortaeus tree," Gaius reads

Arthur points at a scary lizard looking thing,  "That doesn't look particularly friendly," 

"Yeah, no kidding," I say looking to where Arthur was pointing.

"A cockatrice-- it guards the forest," Gaius tells us "Its venom is potent. A single drop would mean certain death.  Few who have crossed the mountains of Isgard in search of the Mortaeus flower have made it back alive," I look at Merlin.

"Sounds like fun," I say.

I turn around and go to my room.

"Where are you going?" Arthur asks.

"I am going to get changed," I say 

"and why exactly are you getting changed?" Arthur asks

I turn around to look at him "I am going to get that flower," 

Before he can answer me I jog up to my room and close the door. I get changed into my armor.

 I get changed into my armor