Chapter 38 ~ Training

That knight Merlin Arthur and I were lying awake, talking. I was pleased we weren't going to sleep because I didn't want another nightmare.

"Have you always slept on the floor?" Arthur asks

Merlin's head was lying by Arthurs's feet, and my head was by Merlin's feet.

"Yeah, the beds we have in Camelot's luxury by comparison," Merlin replies.

"It must've been hard." Arthur states

"It's like a rock," Merlin says

"I didn't mean the ground; I meant, for you two-- It must've been difficult," Arthur says

"Not really.  We didn't know any different. Life was simple out here. You eat the food you grow yourself, and everyone works together." I explain "As long as you got food on the table and a roof over your head,  you're happy."

"Sounds... nice," Arthur says with difficulty.

"You'd hate it." Merlin states

"No doubt." Arthur replies "Why did you leave?" 

"Things just... changed," I say 

"How?" Arthur asks

Merlin and I don't reply. 

Arthur puts his foot on Merlin's face. "Come on, stop pretending to be interesting. Tell me." 

I laugh quietly at Merlin's desperate attempts to get Arthur's foot out of his face.

Arthur looks at me and smiles. He moves his foot out of Merlin's face.

Merlin looks at me "We just didn't fit in anymore. We wanted to find somewhere that we did." 

"Had any luck?" Arthur asks plainly.

"We're not sure yet," I reply

"We'll start training the men tomorrow." Arthur takes a deep breath and turns on his side away from us "It's gonna be a long day. Get the candle."

Merlin rolls over and blows out the candle.

I had the nightmare again, accept the person who was getting attacked wasn't my mom anymore; it was a blurred out figure. But it didn't change the dream; two men still came after me. The biggest one's hand came down to me. Then I woke up.

I didn't scream this time, but I sat bolt upright.

"Hey, you okay?" I look to my left and see Arthur sitting up looking at me.

"Yeah, sorry it was the nightmare again. Did I wake you?" I say 

"No, I've been awake for hours," Arthur says 

I glare at him.

"Okay, you did wake me up, but it's fine," Arthur says gently.

I smile at Arthur "I'm okay really,"

"If you say so." Arthur turns back around and goes to sleep.

The next morning we all got ready for the hard day ahead. Merlin was the first one dressed. 

I was wearing my training clothes.