54

After having dinner with the rest of the group at Grimmauld Place, Hazel and George went back to the Fenwick Household for the night. They'd been staying on and off the last week anyway, they knew Sarah wouldn't mind, plus Fred and Angelina liked being alone. "Could you let Fred know we're staying here tonight?" Hazel asked Remus, who nodded in response. He took out the notebook and scribbled something down before closing it again.

The four of them were sitting on the living room by the fireplace. George was sitting with his back against the armrest, holding Hazel to his chest, an arm wrapped around her. She had a blanket draped over her legs to shield her from the cold. "Mum came over yesterday," Hazel said quietly, making Remus and Sarah look at her in surprise. "I kicked her out of the store... Sent her back home," she murmured, already feeling scared they'd yell at her.

"Alright," Remus cleared his throat. "Uh - well, let's hope she got home safely," he said, pursing his lips. Hazel raised her gaze towards him. "What?" George caressed her arm with tenderness.

"You're not angry?" She wondered nervously.

Remus shook his head with a breathy chuckle. "Why would I be angry? She came to your house unannounced after having ignored you for months... I understand if you don't want her close. That's your decision, you're an adult and I'm here to support you," he said pointedly. Sarah nodded along after a few seconds.

"There's more to this story, isn't there?" The older woman asked, a knowing look on her face. Hazel nodded biting her lip.

"I - uh," she squeezed George's hand for help. The boy squeezed back before finishing her sentence.

"She turned into a harpy," Sarah couldn't help but stare at Hazel as George spoke. Remus looked shocked. "Not a complete harpy - just the brown wings and the bird claws," he explained further, still stroking her arm.

Silence filled the room, George's grip around Hazel became more protective. "I knew you were a powerful witch," Sarah said, taking a sip of her tea. "You must've been furious with your mother to possess that ability," she pointed out. Hazel nodded, thinking back on the moment. "The scars from your back won't fade, but don't worry, they stop hurting two days after the transformation," she set the cup down on the table in front of her. George didn't know how Hazel felt about that but he knew he couldn't care less if she had scars.

"You've turned too?" Asked Hazel, already suspicious of the answer.

The older woman nodded. "You don't get to be seventy seven years of age without getting angry every once in a while," Hazel chuckled at her way of phrasing it. "I've turned about four times in my life. In my case I also get feathers around my shoulders," George shook his head, that didn't happen to Hazel. "It's a known fact that full Veelas are able to conjure fire, they're capable of throwing fireballs at their enemies... I've never known if half blooded Veelas can do it," she confessed. "I was never able to... But don't fret, there's nothing more to it, dear," her grandmother dismissed, an understanding smile on her face.

"Benjy never turned into a harpy," Remus noted, raising an eyebrow as he looked over at Sarah.

"My son didn't have the temperament for that," she said, remembering him with a loving smile. "Not even when he was at his most angry," Rem thought about it before nodding in agreement. "But honestly, I didn't think you had that temperament either," Sarah admitted, looking over at Hazel who shrugged. Neither did I. "It's not uncommon for male Veelas to never turn. After all, harpies are mostly women," Hazel hummed in acknowledgement, leaning into George's touch, feeling safer.

With a sigh, Hazel turned to Remus. "How are you?" She asked him all of a sudden. "I feel like we haven't talked about you in a while. Is everything good?" Sarah chuckled to herself knowingly, standing up to get more tea from the kitchen. They'd send Toobey off to bed early since he seemed tired after apparating and disapparating so much.  Sarah was pleased with how Hazel's Veela magic worked itself through her. "Why's she laughing? Is something up?" Hazel tilted her head to the side as Remus let out a quiet laugh.