48

making it clear: this chapter (honestly this book) is a mixture of the films, books and myself, so please bear in mind, everything you think you know is an assumption! treat it as such. x

It had been five days. Five long days since the incident. Five days since Hazel stopped being herself. To George, it felt like an eternity. Whenever he tried to talk about what happened in that bathroom, Hazel changed the subject however she could, even if it took physically walking out of the room. George knew he shouldn't push, but he had no other way of helping her and he was getting desperate.

At night, Hazel would let George hold her, even if she wasn't getting any sleep. George would try and stay up with her as much as he could, but eventually, sleep caught up to him and he would succumb. Hazel, however, slept about three hours per night, she was lucky if she got five. She would wake up startled, sweating after nightmares. George would stroke her hair or caress her back until she was back asleep.

On Friday, the boy ended up writing a letter to Harry, asking for answers. He knew Harry had something to do with what happened to Malfoy in that bathroom. As much as he disliked the platinum haired boy, he wasn't sure he deserved what he got. Harry wrote back quicker than George had expected, and by Monday, the ginger had the full story. Harry's letter narrated the events that happened that night, pleading for Hazel's forgiveness.

With a sigh, George set the letter down, rubbing his eyes. "What's that?" Hazel's soft voice pulled George out from his head. He turned around and pursed his lips as Hazel eyed Hedwig, blinking a few times. "He's told you then," George nodded quietly, handing the letter to his soulmate. "I don't wanna read that -"

"He's apologising," George cut her off, watching as Hazel bit her lip, looking away. "Haze, they're too young to even understand what they're doing," he murmured, defending both boys at once. "Harry didn't mean to hurt Malfoy in that way, he didn't even really know what that spell did -"

"I'd never heard it before," Hazel mumbled under her breath, pouring two cups of coffee. "I thought it was something he made up on the spot but then Snape... He knew it," she grabbed one and handed the other to George, who took it graciously. "I guess it's pretty uncommon," she sipped on the black liquid, turning back to look at George who hummed in acknowledgment.

They slipped into silence for a few seconds, then Hazel continued speaking. "There was so much blood," the girl shuddered at the memory. "I've seen blood before but never like that, it just didn't stop flooding out of him and he was screaming, God..." George swallowed with difficulty as the girl kept going. "He was screaming so much. I tried to close the cuts but they just tore open again and he got louder," Hazel's breath hitched, shaking her head. "It was a lot." She muttered, going back to her drink, avoiding George's gaze.

"I know," he murmured, stepping closer to her, slowly placing his hand on her waist. "Miss Brown explained it to us, how whenever you're in a highly stressful situation you go back there," he said, referring to the Halloween incident now. "It's gotten better though, over time..."

"It had," Hazel sighed, leaning into George slightly, resting her head right below his shoulder. "I feel like this is making me go backwards," she admitted, feeling her eyes sting with tears. "I'm just so tired - I'm sorry if I've neglected you lately-"

"Nonsense, darling," George shushed her softly, kissing her forehead. "It's okay - it was just a setback. You have a higher tolerance now," the fact that Hazel was back to talking to him again made him feel his soul returning to his body though. "I knew it would take you a couple of days... took a little longer than expected but I'm glad you're back to talking," he chuckled along with her before finishing his cup of coffee. "Have you spoken to Malfoy or Harry?"