XXIV-3

CHAPTER 3

A short time passed before Leo and Ronnie were waiting on the curb outside of the house for the bus to reach the stop.

Susie watched in the doorway, a nervous smile plastered up on her face.

Leo could tell her mind was in a bad place, but he didn't quite know why. He felt like he was going to throw up, the nauseous feeling got stronger the closer the bus got. Before long, the long, yellow vehicle was now stopping right in front of them. The feeling of being stared at was never so strong.

He watched Ronnie walk up the steps after the doors slid open to reveal the driver and a couple of steps that he noted to follow Ronnie up. As soon as Ronnie disappeared down the narrow pathway, Leo walked up very slowly, taking one look back at Susie who was now going inside. The feeling got worse, he turned to see that everyone in the bus was eyeing him strange looks. It was obvious his face was new to the school already.

Leo clinched the bag around his shoulders with both hands. This was definitely going to take some getting used to, considering he didn't like getting stared at in general, made this even harder for him to even try and get used to it.

He saw Ronnie sit down at the back next to who seemed to be his friend. The bus was full with different kids from different ages, considering the school had all grades from K-12, it was expected. Leo slowly made his way down the pathway, trying to avoid any eye contact that was possibly trying to reach him. He chose the seat at the very back, it was the only one he felt welcome to sit at. It was empty, just him and his bag. He took it off of his back and sat it in his lap, still trying to avoid any contact.

Leo glanced out of the window as he began to think about everything, how his life changed so tragically, so fast. He hadn't even fully processed it all, and the bullet wounds on his back, though they were surely on the road to recovery, still took a moment for him to remember that they were even there....

The ride was short, since Leo was at the back, every little bump made his bag jump up along with his smaller figure. The bus pulled up to the school, the long, two story building sliding into view. A lump peered through his throat as he gulped softly, the feeling of anxious nausea now made his face slightly green.

The other kids began to exit the bus through those sliding doors. Leo was the last to leave, stepping off onto the grey pavement. He faced the large building that crowds of kids of all heights and ages opened the doors to enter. Leo had cold feet, they refused to move.

"Go on, it won't be that bad," a voice spoke out from behind him, it was the driver. He turned to face him, his grip on the bag was tight and it actually made his palms red. He turned back and slowly dragged his feet towards the crowd of students heading inside. Upon reaching the door, he opened it and stepped through the corridor and now entered the tall halls of the school. Other students gathered around lockers holding papers that were probably their schedule, comparing it with others to see if they have any classes with those they know.

Unlike everyone else, Leo didn't get a schedule, or anything, just an old bag over his shoulders full with empty notebooks and one single pencil.

Ronnie was supposed to show him around, but as expected, the boy ran off with his friends, leaving Leo to find his classes on his own.

As much as he despised the idea, he would have to ask someone for help, he didn't even know where the place to get a schedule was, or if he even needed one since he'd be in sixth grade. Even if so, he didn't know where to go to even get to a class he was assigned to..