XXXIX-5

That night, Leo laid in his bed, facing the ceiling. Another sleepless night laid ahead of him. His mind was wandering again. From the death of his parents to how things are now. He thought about Julia and now that other girl that he saw a while back in the hospital.

All of those thoughts roamed the corners of his mind and in the middle laid worries of the future. Leo turned onto his side and now faced the empty, black abyss of the closet. It took a lot not to freak himself out but the longer he stared, the more the dark seemed to consume him.

Leo slowly started to close his eyes and once he had done that, soft shuffling was heard from the hallway. He opened his eyes again and sat up rather slowly. He could see the small bit of light creeping under the door that led to the bathroom.

With shuffled breaths, Leo slowly got out of his bed and his bare feet landed on the floor, sending a small chill up his spine.
'Who could be up at this time?' he mentally asked himself as he inched towards his open doorway. The closer he got, the louder the shuffling got. Someone was definitely in the bathroom, doing who knows what. It didn't sound like whoever was in there was doing their business, so what was going on?

Leo noticed the small crack in the door and slowly placed one hand on the wall and the other very carefully onto the door itself. He leaned in, peeking into the small crack where he could make out a man. It was his uncle.

What the heck was he doing in there? He could finally make out that William seemed to stick something into his arm and inject himself with some sort of substance. Leo's heart rate sped up just a little. The man inside grunted as he repeated this in the vein of his other arm.

Leo wasn't sure what his uncle was up to, but it was sketchy as all hell. He should probably tell Susie, but would she believe him? Susie has been rather snappy lately and he didn't want to make whatever feelings she's struggling with any worse.

Leo held his breath, keeping an eye on the man who now seemed to put everything away. The boy backed away a little, in the meantime accidentally moving the door just a little, causing it to creak. Leo rushed back towards the end door to his room and closed it.

William walked out, seeming to hold a small plastic bag in his hand. He had heard the door shut and slowly shuffled over towards Leo's room. He grunted with a low gruff and placed his hand on the door knob.

Leo pulled the covers over his head, hearing the man's breathing and shuffling from outside of the door. He closed his eyes and hoped that William didn't hear him.

William stayed there for at least a minute before letting go of the door knob and dragged himself away. His short groans echoed the hallway. It was like a walking zombie.

Leo let out a sigh of relief and pulled the covers all the way over his head and closed his eyes tightly. Something was up with that man. What did he inject himself with? Leo figured that maybe it was a type of medicine, but if that, why was he doing it so late? Maybe he forgot and woke up needing it? So many possible answers but nothing someone Leo's age should know.

•••

The next morning, Leo was woken up to the soft motion that came from the hallway. The others were already up? Usually Leo was the first one up, having woken up and not being able to go back to sleep.

As the day went by, Leo was beginning to point out all of the things wrong here. First, he hasn't seen much at all lately. Second, Ronnie didn't even look at him, or talk to him in some time, and Susie seemed to be down in her gutters again. The family seemed distant. Well it always was, but this was a different feeling, a dark one.

Susie looked as if she hadn't slept in weeks, and Ronnie was just the same ol' dirtbag, just more self loathed. William on the other hand loved to exchange dark glares at Leo, and he had no idea why.

Leo assumed William knew that he had seen what he did last night, but again, didn't choose to speak up about it in fear of Susie finding out in case she gets curious as well. Leo was tempted to tell her what he saw, but fear held him back. It was fear that she wouldn't believe him, and possibly go off for snooping in on other people's business. There was also fear of William getting upset as well.

Leo had absolutely no one to run to, not even that God-for-saken 'therapist' Leo now had to visit every saturday.

For the rest of the afternoon, Leo just sat, staring at the TV. One of his favorite shows was on. A few new seasons had come out and he was mentally thrilled to watch them. Little did he know, these shows, and many other experiences were putting things into his mind, horrible things.

After the long and unnerving day, Leo had gotten into bed again and attempted to sleep. Many nights had been the same. He would lay there, facing the closet. His mind would wander and half of the time he'd accidentally make himself cry, which usually put him to sleep faster than anything else.

Leo hated the way that his mind would only remember or focus on the bad things he had gone through, and never the good. He thought about why, but then it hit him.

There wasn't anything good to remember...

•••