LXXII-9

Chapter 9

The following day Leo had to leave through the tiny window of the bathroom. It was just above the toilet so he had to climb onto that first and squeeze through the small rectangular opening.

Once out he hurried away from the store and crossed the street. He was surprised nothing had been bothering him yet, no visions or odd voices, not even Julia, and...Julia? He still didn't understand the concept of that.

The ginger haired boy had been all over the small town he lived in, even took a trip to the hospital where it all started..

He wondered if nurse Ray still worked there.
He wasn't sure if he should go in yet, seeming that'd be weird, they'd probably assume he was hurt or something.

Leo felt a lot more at ease out alone by himself, the freedom to do anything he wanted. Though with lack of much money if any at all most of those things were going to have to wait.
Of course with good things there always had to be some bad things to follow along with them.

Random adults would stop Leo and ask if he had parents or just plainly be weird towards him.
Leo was never taught about kidnappers, though he certainly wasn't dumb enough to fall for anything from anyone, not after what he's already been through.

Leo was a pretty tough kid, looking back at everything he still managed to hold onto the little bit of sanity he had.
Upon losing his birth parents who manipulated him to think they were all he ever was going to have, moving into his side family who turned out to have dark secrets, and of course his new public school life to top it all off.

He honestly was handling it pretty well..he got to a point where he stopped grieving his parents so much. Yes he still missed them but he wasn't sure if what they did to him was a form or love, or abuse.
He could tell those two terms apart pretty easily now.

Though he didn't have to worry about school for a while, or Ronnie, or William, he found life a bit more calming. At nights Leo would sit up top a store building or even someone's house and just stare at the stars, or the busy streets in front of him.
Even though it was better than being at the house, it got really lonely. But he rather be lonely than physically or mentally put down for something he couldn't control.

•••

Leo knew eventually he'd have to go back. Who would protect Susie if things got worse? He knew Ronnie might, but William could be fucking him up in the head as well.

He wasn't sure what he should do, but part of him felt selfish, but the other part felt restless.
Susie was probably worried sick, surprisingly.

••