Breakups

Narrator POV

Time passed really fast after that fight.

The whole school was talking about their breakup, and they didn't even try to be discreet when Katherine was around. Wherever she went, people were looking, pointing and whispering.

On another time, she would face them and make them stop. But now? She couldn't care less.

She focused her entire time on getting good grades on her O.W.L.S. That was her only concern. At least, that was she tried to show.

Ron, Harry and Hermione weren't exactly talking to her. They tried. They wanted to have a proper conversation and apologise for what they did. But she wouldn't hear them. Every time they came around her, she said she was occupied and had to study.

It wasn't completely a lie, but the full truth is that she was using her studies to keep her mind busy, because everytime she had free time, her thoughts travelled to where she didn't want to go. To who.

Speaking about him, Draco was miserable. He kept staring at her tiressly. During classes, during meals, during tests. He was always staring at her, hoping that she would look back to him. Even by accident.

But it never happened.

It killed him to see her sad, but a selfish part of him felt relieved. If she was hurt, it meant that she liked him the way he liked her.

At the first few days, he thought it would be easy to forget her.  They're young, and the time they spent together was really short. How hard could it be?

It turned out a lot hard.

He missed everything about her. When she left, he realized how much of his mind belonged to her. Every joke he heard, he thought about her laugh. Every mean thing he said, he remembered how she would scold him.

He missed her kisses, he missed hugging her. He missed brushing her hair. He missed her smell. He missed hearing her talk about her stupid muggle books. He missed missing her all day, and knowing they would be together at night. He missed talking to her while she slept, because he did that a lot.

He missed how safe she made him feel. How on earth is he supposed to be without her now?

He hoped that she would talk to him. Even yell at him to move because he's blocking her away. She could spend one entire hour cursing him, he wouldn't mind. The only thing he hoped, was that he could see by the tone of her voice, or by the look on her eyes, if she missed him too. But the girl didn't give him a chance.

And the reason is because she knew her mask would fall the moment she stared at his silvered-blue eyes.

She missed him with all of her heart. She felt his gaze on her. She knew when he was around. She knew he was there. But she couldn't let herself fall into old habits. She didn't dare even look in his direction. She could even have forgotten how his eyes looked, because of how long she spent without looking at it.

But she didn't.

Even if she stayed away from him the entire day, even if she spent the day without looking at his direction, even if she spent the month without speaking his name, when the night came, and she was alone at her dorm, she slowly let her mind think about his voice, his smell, and his face. She let herself cry, thinking about him. And she let herself dream about all the good memories they shared together.

Every night, at 11:42 sharp, both of them would be at their dorms. They would look at the clock and wait. During one entire minute they let themselves hope that the other one would be just outside the door.