Chapter 14

"What?" Alex asked, standing. "You're telling me that we're siblings? That we're twins?"

"Alex, please," I begged. "Calm down."

"Why would they keep this from us? Especially after I met you, you would think that they would tell us."

"Alex," I said, my eyed filling with tears.

He sighed and sat back down in his chair, watching me, ready for what I was going to say.

"Why do you think I was acting weird when I woke up? Why do you think I was pushing everyone away? It was because I was confused. Then I remembered something. Something Mom had told me, when she pulled me in to say goodbye." I could feel more tears as I spoke, and I stopped for a moment.

Alex asked carefully, "What was that?"

"When she told me she was leaving me, I begged her not to go. I told her I still needed her, that she had to meet Finny, Maria, you........

"When she heard your name, Alex, she repeated it, as if asking me if she had heard me right. I told her who you were, and she smiled. She told me you were the one destined to help me, not her. But her smile, it was something I didn't understand until a few moments ago. She remembered your name. She was happy that we had found each other, that you were alright."

"She was?"

"Of course she was. You're her son."

"Then why give me away?" He asked. "Why separate us?"

"She thought we had a better shot at surviving if we were separate. They were only thinking of our futures, wanting us to stay alive as long as possible."

"So why do we have different birthdays?"

"Our parents had known they were going to separate us since they found out they were having twins. When they gave you away, they told your adoptive parents that they wanted us to have different birthdays, so that if we ever did meet, we wouldn't assume we were siblings. So your adoptive family made your birthday the day you were given to them."

"Okay, so why the whole 'Let's chose to keep our daughter instead of our son' thing?"

"Don't say that!" I snapped. "Don't you dare think that they chose me over you! My parents would never do something as cruel as picking favorites!" My eyes widened as I realized what I had done, and I hastily covered my mouth, my eyes watering even more. "I'm so sorry, Alex. I didn't mean to."

"It's alright, I shouldn't have worded it like that."

I nodded, then took a deep, ragged breath. "There's something I haven't told you. Something that I've never told anyone I ever met."

"What?" Alex asked curiously.

"It's, well..."

"Selena," Alex said, leaning closer to me. "You're my sister. If saying something like that got you worked up like that, I need to know what that is. Maybe I can help, or at least keep myself from doing it again."

I nodded, took another deep breath, and told him everything. "This is something I didn't just remember. I've always known about it." I paused, trying to organize my thoughts. A moment later, I started my story again. "I was born weak and ill, you totally perfect and normal. While you grew normally, I grew with uneven halves. My angel side was always weak, my demon growing strong. Now this is the part I just found out. Our parents knew they couldn't give me away to strangers who didn't know anything about my condition. They were scared I would die. But they had faith in you, knew you were strong, knew you would live. That's why they gave you away instead of me. You had a more likely chance at survival. They had a faith in you they never had in me."