Chapter 21

Selena's POV:

I awoke with a headache, my neck burning, and the feeling someone was watching me.

I rolled over and opened my eyes. Finny and Alex were sitting in chairs beside my bed, smiling at me.

I smiled back. "Did I miss anything exciting?"

Alex was the one who answered. "Not really. You were only out for maybe 12 hours. The first two hours you were lying on the ground and then in a room getting patched up. Finny and I have been here with you most of the time, with servants coming in and out to check on you. Some of them I think know more about medicine than Maria does. And that's saying something."

I laughed, then sat up. My head still hurt, my neck burned more as I accidentally jerked my head, but I was able to sit up surprisingly easily.

"You look stronger," Finny observed.

"I feel stronger," I said quietly.

"Do you remember everything that happened?" Alex asked.

I nodded. I remembered merging with Serena, the feeling of dread when I thought she was gone forever, the feeling of happiness when she proved she wasn't really gone, and the burning pain of my neck and muscles.

"You guys are okay, right?" I asked them.

They both nodded.

Then a wave of panic hit me. "What about Samantha? She was in there, too! She helped us-"

"She's fine as well," said another voice. I whirled around to look at the open door. There was a servant standing there, a man with black hair and dark eyes. He was smiling at me. "I'll let your father know you're awake." Then he left without another word, closing the door behind him.

"Well that wasn't weird at all..." Alex muttered.

I laughed, then glanced over at Finny. He was smiling at me.

"What? Was I drooling?"

He shook his head, smiling even more. I reached over and hugged him.

"I'm fine, Finny. You need to stop worrying about me so much. It's bad for you."

Finny just nodded. I let go of him and sat back on the bed, holding my still burning neck.

Alex gave me a worried glance. "Are you sure you're alright?"

I sighed, then shook my head. The burning was becoming more intense. I pulled up my legs and rested my head on my knees.

I heard Alex tell Finny to go get my father, and then I heard Finny rush out of the room. Alex stood next to me, trying to pry my hand from my neck.

"Come on, Selena, let me see it."

I reluctantly moved my hand and let Alex examine my neck. I fought myself to stay silently while he touched the cut and checked to see what might be wrong with it. But I knew Alex, and he was no doctor. He was only trying to make me feel better until my father arrived.

When Dad finally showed up, he had a team with him. I heard someone ask Alex to move out of the way. As Alex moved away from me, I reached out for him. I felt someone else take my hands and place them beside me. It was my father. "Lay back down, please, Selena."

I did as he said. "Where's Alex?"

"He's still here, don't worry."

"Turn your head," said a voice.

I did so, trying to stay calm. I saw Alex behind my father, watching worriedly.

A few moments later, the hands released me, and a new voice spoke. "It's a pretty bad infection. There are also a few traces of poisoning we didn't notice before. I'll call in the team."

My father nodded, and the servants left the room in a hurry.

"Why would there be poison?" I asked.

"They must have had some on they're blades." My father turned to Alex. "I want you, Maria, and everyone else who was injured during the fight to go downstairs and checked for poisoning. And be sure to send someone to Samantha's room as well."

Alex nodded, then rushed out of the room.

I lay on the bed silently until the team arrived and began washing the cut on my neck. I felt Dad pat my hand.

"I'm going to check on everyone. These people will take good care of you." He flashed a smile to someone on the team, a young girl who seemed to be about my age, with long white hair and red eyes, then left the room.

"Who are you?" I asked her.

"My name is Luna. I'm just an old friend of your father's. Don't worry about anything. Now let us get you fixed up, alright?"

I nodded, and let the team do what they had to do.

***

Third Person POV:

Sebastian walked the halls of the building, finding servants and sending them to the medical room for a poison check. Anyone who wasn't injured or hadn't participated in the fight were sent to either the kitchen or to Samantha's room. She still hadn't woken up, and most of the servants were starting to worry.

On his way down the stairs, he bumped into Alex, who was on his way back up.

"I'm clean," Alex said to his father, not looking him in the eyes. Sebastian simply nodded, then let Alex continue up the staircase.

Alex rushed to Selena's room, but was forced to stay outside. Frustrated, he ran to Samantha's room. He opened the door just as a servant was about to leave. She bowed to him, then left. When Alex entered the room, he was relieved to find Samantha sitting up, reading a book.

When she looked up and saw him, she quickly closed the book. "Master Alex!" She exclaimed. "Why are you here?"

"Just checking on you," Alex answered. "Plus they wouldn't let me see Selena."

"Oh my goodness, the mistress! Is she alright? Did she get hurt?"

"She'll be fine. Sebastian's got some people in there helping her."

"Oh dear, I'm afraid it is all my fault she was injured..." Samantha said, looking down at her hands.

"Why would you think that?" Alex asked.

"If I hadn't moved the dresser and let them in, she wouldn't have been wounded. I apologize."

Alex moved closer to Samantha, standing next to her bed. "It's not your fault, Samantha. Selena wanted you to move it. She wanted to fight."

Samantha looked up at him. "But I shouldn't have! I should have waited a bit longer. They would have broke in anyway, but if we had waited, then someone else could've come and helped us, and there would have been less time for Mistress Selena to be injured." Samantha's eyes filled with tears, and she buried her face in her hands.

Alex patted her shoulder, and Samantha leaned into him, sobbing. Alex held her, and let her cry, occasionally rubbing her back.

"It doesn't matter who is to blame for Selena being injured," Alex said, as reassuringly as he could. "What matters now is that she's okay, and you are, too."

Samantha nodded, leaning on Alex as she quieted her sobs, and eventually fell asleep.

(Sorry this update took so long. Writer's Block. Anyway, I checked my followers count this morning, and it's at 920! I never expected that in my life! I have an idea of what I want to do to celebrate if we make it to 1,000, but for that I need your help. If you didn't know, I have a book posted with most of my story ideas. In that book is a requests page. What I want you to do is read through the conditions, and if you have a request, post it in the comments of that chapter. If it's posted anywhere else, no one else will get to see it. I'll explain the rest later if I get any more requests and we actually reach 1000 followers. Thanks a million for everything you guys do! I love all of you!)