Chapter 8

(Hey all! Welcome to chapter 8! And Happy Thanksgiving to those of you who live in the U.S.A.! I do, so I'm thankful for all of my friends and family, and all of you awesome readers and followers. I'm thankful for all the support my friends and family give, and you people that I don't even know! You're votes and comments keep me going. Thanks for everything!)

Third Person POV:

Alex and Sebastian glanced at each other, not sure how to react. Alex was the first to find his voice.

"What happened? Why would you say that?"

Selena stared at him for a moment, then simply closed her eyes, sobbing, and refusing to speak.

"Would Serena be able to explain things?" Alex asked gently. "We can't help you if we don't know what happened.

Selena shook her head violently. Then she heard a voice in her head.

"There's nothing they can do for us besides try to put us back together," Serena said, her sadness evident in her tone.

"Can't we trust them for now? Serena... I don't want to die..."

"I know you don't. I don't want you to, either. But I separated us to help you discover gifts that you have, and neither of us are going anywhere until that happens."

Alex noticed Selena nod. She must be talking to Serena, he thought to himself.

Selena took a deep breath, and her grip on Alex's hand loosened to nothing. Her wings turned black, and when her eyes opened, they were a burning blood red.

Serena sat up and moved her hand away from Alex. She crossed her arms over her chest and remained silent.

Sebastian spoke first. "Serena, what-"

"I am not here to answer your questions for you. Selena ran from you. She's hiding. The only reason I'm here is because I don't know what will happen to our body if someone isn't using it. If it dies, we'll be trapped inside a realm only we know. No one would ever be able to find us."

"Serena, maybe you're able to teach me how to go there. If you can, then I could pull you out if something happens." Alex was trying to find a way to learn things from Serena. She knew things, and he had to know what.

"Sorry, Alex, but I don't think that's possible. The world between life and death is only accessible by few angels and demons. I doubt you're one of the chosen few."

"A doubt isn't the same as no chance," Alex went on, practically begging.

"Look. If you want to be alone with me to talk, why don't you just ask instead of coming up with these lame excuses?"

Alex became quiet.

"Now, Daddy," Serena said. "Do you need something from me while I'm here?"

"Explain why Selena was talking the way she was."

"Fine. She's weaker. We both are. We're dying. She's weaker than I am, meaning she's going to die first, and then if I'm not able to get strong enough to take over this body completely, then I'm dead too."

Sebastian's voice was quiet when he spoke. "Alex, go see if Finny is still downstairs. If so, he can come up and see Selena."

Alex nodded as Serena blurted, "But she doesn't want to see anyone! That's the whole reason I'm out here!"

Alex didn't respond as he left the room, closing the door behind him.

Sebastian looked Serena over carefully before saying softly, "You know what Alex is, don't you?"

Serena seemed confused for a short moment, then laughed. "Of course I know. I'm the half that never forgot him."

"Have you told Selena?"

"No, you should be the one to tell her, not me." Serena looked at him curiously, then a light shone in her eyes as she made the realization. "You don't plan on telling them, do you?"

Sebastian remained quiet.

Serena opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by the door swinging open. Sebastian stood as Alex and Finny entered the room. Serena smiled at Finny.

"I'll get her," she said, and looked to Sebastian. He grabbed her as Serena disconnected herself from control, and gently laid her down on the bed.

Sebastian grabbed Alex and pulled him out of the room. Finny smiled and closed the door, then sat next to Selena on the bed, gently holding her hand.

***

Selena's POV:

"Selena!" I could hear Serena shouting. She was looking for me, obviously, but I didn't want to be found. I wanted to be alone.

"Selena!!" Her voice became more urgent because she couldn't find me. She was probably scared she was going to find my dead body somewhere.

I answered her reluctantly. "I'm over here."

I could hear her sigh with relief as she approached.

"Selena, thank goodness you're okay."

"Yeah," I answered, struggling to sit up.

Serena offered her hand and I took it. She helped me stand, then let me go.

"Does someone need me or something?" I asked.

Serena shrugged. "They don't need you, exactly, but Finny wants to see you."

I nodded. "Thanks."

Serena nodded. "Now go! Don't leave a cute boy waiting!"

I laughed and merged with my body.

***

I slowly opened my eyes to see Finny sitting next to me, holding my hand. I struggled to sit up, but managed. Finny smiled at me, and I smiled back.

"Feeling okay?" He asked me.

"Define okay," I answered, looking back at my pale gray wings. "How have you been?"

"My life went back to normal after we got back. I couldn't leave the manor without Ciel getting angry."

"That sounds like him."

Finny nodded. It felt like we hadn't seen each other in forever.

"Finny, I don't know what to do." I said quietly.

"What do you mean?"

I sighed. "I'm dying, Finny. If I die, Serena will either take over or die after me. But if she takes over, I'm worried about how it will be for everyone else, knowing I'm not there anymore."

Finny held my gaze in his own, and I couldn't look away. "We won't let you die, Selena. You must know that."

I finally broke eye contact and looked away, down at the white bed sheets, wrinkled in various places. Finny grabbed my head and forced me to look at him. "Don't you?"

I nodded, tears welling up in my eyes. I hugged him, blinking away the tears and smiling with delight. Finny and Alex and Dad wouldn't let me die. And I found that somewhere deep down in my heart, I believed I was going to become who I was, and my life was going to become as close to normal as possible.

I began to pull away from Finny to thank him for everything, but then the greatest thing happened.

He kissed me.