Chapter 15

(Sorry it's been so long, everyone. I don't know what kept me from updating. This chapter has been written since the last one was posted. Anyway, here it is. Love you all! Enjoy!)

"Mom had a sister?" I asked my father in shock. "I don't remember meeting her..."

"I would add something to this conversation, but apparently I grew up to nothing but lies," Alex commented.

I punched him.

"Ow!" Alex cried out, rubbing his arm.

"Oh, I couldn't have hurt you that bad. Besides, we were still newborns when we were separated. Maybe she never met you, but knew you were with me."

Alex only nodded, though he still looked sad and angry.

"Alex," Dad said, "I know you're angry with me. But for now, try to forget about that. I'll explain later, but please, we are here to help Selena."

Alex nodded again.

"Angelina?"

The angel looked to me and smiled. "Yes, dear?"

"How much do you know of my situation?"

"Most of it. You were born ill, eventually grew out of most of the symptoms, but never fully recovered. Not even a year later, your mother passed. Almost 11 years after that, you lost her permanently." I heard something in her voice when she said that I had lost Mom. She misses her too. "Also, your demon half started taking control of you and stirred up the illness again. This time it's stronger, but I might know of a way to help. Do not become too excited, though, child. There is no cure for your disease. Not many are searching for it, because you two are the only ones of your kind still in existence."

"Would Maria be able to find one?"

"Perhaps. You're reaper is very kind. She might be the one to find the cure."

"We really are the only ones..." Alex said in awe.

"Yup. It's just us." I answered solemnly.

Angelina walked over and put her hand on my shoulder. "Selena, I can tell you one thing for certain right now. If you follow my instructions, you won't die. You and Serena will both survive and be able to join back together."

"I never told you about Serena."

"I told you already I knew of your situation. Selena, could I please speak with Serena? What you have to do will affect her as well, and I need her consent."

I immediately nodded, and then felt Alex put his arms around me. I smiled at him, and then closed my eyes and searched for Serena.

***

Third Person POV:

Angelina took her hand away as Selena fell limp in Alex's arms. She walked over toward Sebastian, who was looking at her curiously.

"How long will she be unconscious?" She asked.

Sebastian simply shrugged.

Alex answered. "It all depends on how long it takes her to find Serena, and then if they talk for a while or not. It could be anywhere between five minutes and a few hours. Why?"

Angelina sighed. "Can she hear us?"

"No, but when her wings turn black, I would stop talking."

Angelina nodded, then stepped back so she could see them both in front of her. Sebastian was watching her quizzically, while Alex lay Selena on the ground, her head in his lap.

Once Alex was looking up at her, Angelina began to speak. "I'm afraid that the only way the treatment I have planned out will work is if they reunite into one being. Serena must combine with Selena again soon, or it won't work."

"Why won't it?" Alex asked.

Angelina gave a sad smile. "You're mother came up with this treatment. It was made specifically for your kind. If they aren't reunited, there is a chance both halves of your sister could be poisoned because of it."

"How would it poison them?" Alex asked, confused. "There's still two halves in the same body."

"Correct, but they are two separate halves, separate beings. The treatment medication is toxic to angels and demons separate. That means both would become poisoned separately."

"What about that whole 'I'll help you discover your gifts' thing Serena had going on? Was she really going to do that?" Alex thought aloud.

Angelina answered, "My guess would be that was her cover for separating. I'm sure she really only wanted for you and Selena to remember each other."

"That did seem to be her main priority for a while..." Alex observed.

Selena stirred suddenly, her body jerking to the left. Alex quickly grabbed her, holding her in place while she squirmed and moved around violently. Angelina and Sebastian were there in an instant.

Suddenly, Selena's eyes snapped open. Only they weren't Selena's eyes. Alex loosened his grip on her as he saw her calming down, and eventually let go. Serena sat up slowly.

"What was that?!" Alex almost screamed.

Serena looked at her hands. "This illness is worse than I thought. Her body is even fighting me." Serena looked up, and everyone saw her eyes were full of tears. "Angelina, what do I have to do?"

Angelina looked at the half demon girl with a face of sincerity. "Serena, you're not going to like what I have to tell you."

"I can take it."

Angelina nodded. "In order to treat Selena, you need to reunite with her. It's the only way she might survive."

"Might? You want me to combine with her when you don't even know if it will work?!"

"It worked when she was a child. It should work now. But if I give you the medication while you're separated, both of you will be poisoned and you will die. It's your choice. Selena doesn't know how to combine herself with you, and that would be cheating her out of life anyway. Either combine with her or see if she holds out. Those are your only options."

Serena stayed quiet.

"You have time to think about this, of course," Angelina added. "She shouldn't get too much worse until the end of this month or maybe into the next. If she starts looking pale or flushed or weak, that's when you know you need to make your decision, or else it may be irreversible by then. Talk it over with her. I have to go now. Selena can contact me. She'll know how when the time comes."

Serena nodded.

Angelina waved to them all, then a bright light shone over them all. When it was gone, so was the angel.

Suddenly, Serena cried out in pain and lay on the ground, holding back tears.

"Serena, what happened?"

Serena was somehow able to laugh through her pain. "I told you. This body is even fighting me now. I have to go, or it may kill me."

Alex nodded. Serena closed her eyes and left instantly. Alex looked to Sebastian.

"We should head back," Sebastian said.

Alex nodded, picked up his sister, then carried her back toward the carriage, his father following behind him.