Chapter 19

I stood from the bed on wobbly legs. I was still ill, I couldn't forget that. And Serena was still with me, no matter what. I took a deep breath, then nodded to Samantha.

She looked worried, but nodded back. She moved the dresser from in front of the door, and it burst open instantly.

About five men filed into the room, each about the same height, and wearing all black. Two cornered Samantha, while the others surrounded me and Alex.

I looked over at Alex, who was looking back at me. He seemed worried. I didn't know of anything I could do to let him know that I could stand on my own; that I could be helpful. I folded my wings, so that there was more space in the room. Then I pounced.

I attacked the smallest guy first. He was almost six feet tall, but an inch or two shorter than the other four. I was punching and kicking with more strength than I thought I had.

Once the man got over his shock, he took control of our fight. He easily grabbed my hands and shoved them behind my back. He then shoved me onto the bed and held me down. I heard what sounded like a knife cutting something, then felt the blade against my neck.

The man yelled, "Everyone, freeze, or else I slit her throat!"

I heard the room grow quiet. I didn't try to move, and no one tried to save me.

"Alright," the man holding me said. "All of you are coming with us. And none of you try anything. This blade will kill every one of you."

Anti demon blade. I hated those things, and I was starting to feel the burn on my neck. I bit my lip to keep from crying out, and closed my eyes, not wanting to see Alex's face.

Then, for some insane reason, I got up the courage to try to fight back and break free. (At least, I call it courage. Others may define my actions as stupidity.)

With as much force as possible, I quickly spread my wings. They were more powerful than they appeared, and were able to shove the man off of me. Sadly, though, he didn't let go of the knife, and he managed to cut me.

I stood and turned toward the others, the cut on my neck burning. Alex and Samantha were both fighting off hunters. I closed my eyes for a quick moment, and thought to myself. Serena, if you're still with me, I could use your strength...

When I opened my eyes, I felt a bit different. I glanced at my reflection in the mirror, and saw my bright crimson eyes staring back at me. I saw them shine brighter for a second, and I nodded. She is still here...

I faced a hunter and smirked at him. He growled, then launched himself at me. I heard Alex yell for me to be careful, but I ignored it. I rolled under the man while he was in the air, then kicked him in the back once he'd landed. He fell over, and it didn't seem like he wanted to get back up.

I glanced over and saw two more men advancing toward me. I readied myself for attack, but I felt weak. I'd used up most of the strength I'd had already.

Another man got ready to attack me, so I kicked at him. But the man grabbed my leg before it made contact, and he knocked me down to the ground.

I used my free leg to kick him in the face. He let go of me to hold his bleeding nose, and I quickly stood and repeatedly punched and kicked him, and he eventually fell as well.

I glanced up again, breathing heavily, and saw another man was down, and Samantha and Alex were fighting the last two.

I was physically unable to do anything to help them. I was shaking, and wavering like I was going to fall. I felt dizzy and queasy and nauseous.

"Alex..." I said, before falling to the floor, the room growing dark.

***

Third Person POV:

Alex noticed Selena doing well to fight off her attackers by herself. One time he had been able to glance over at her, she had her demon eyes glowing bright. He felt calmer knowing she was okay for the time being. He did make a mental note to check her injury later.

He and Samantha were able to work together and take out the largest of the men, and he noticed there were only two of them left. He went back to fighting one of the remaining hunters, hoping to keep Selena from taking on another one.

"Alex..." he heard Selena whisper, and he glance over to see her collapsing to the floor. She's reached her limit, he thought to himself. He fought more fiercely, hoping to get to Selena.

Then he heard Samantha. She cried out in pain and fell to the floor. Alex quickly punched one of the hunters in the face, sending him crashing into a wall, and falling to the floor unconscious.

Alex ran to his sister, knowing Samantha would be fine. He felt Selena's forehead, and it was burning hot. He sat on the floor and held her, trying to keep her safe. The remaining man walked over to them, apparently finished with Samantha. Glancing at her, Alex saw she was lying on the ground, motionless.

Alex used himself to block Selena from the hunter, who was now behind him. He waited for a knife to pierce his skin, or to be hit in the head, but instead her heard a shout, then a thud.

Slowly turning, Alex saw his father, holding butter knives, and many of the servants from the building. Two of them ran over to Samantha, while the rest stayed behind Sebastian, waiting for orders.

"Take the bodies from around the mansion and dispose of them. I don't care how," Sebastian said, and the demons dispersed.

Alex sat back against the bed, still holding Selena tightly in his arms. Her wings were still out slightly; enough to be able to see them.

Sebastian noticed them and smiled.

Alex was confused for a moment. "Why are you so happy? She nearly died. She was able to fight off two of them before her illness caught up with her, but-"

"She's back, Alex," Sebastian said. "My daughter's back to normal."