Chapter 16

Selena's POV:

Once I saw Serena, I ran up to her, wanting answers. "What did Angelina tell you? Does she know how to help me?"

Serena seemed tired and unusual. "Yeah, she can help you." Her arms were folded over her stomach, and she seemed more pale than usual.

"Serena? Are you okay?"

Serena smirked. "I'll be fine, I can handle this. If I couldn't, what kind of half demon would I be?"

I smiled. "Good. So what needs to be done so I can get better? I'll do anything."

"I know you will."

"Serena, what's wrong, really? You don't look too good."

By now, Serena was shaking, looking exhausted and almost feverish.

Serena sat on the ground, taking slow breaths. "I told you. I'll be fine. Just don't let me take over for a while unless it's an emergency. Your illness doesn't like me very much."

"I'm doing this to you?"

Serena looked up. I was looking down at her, terrified. "I don't want to hurt you..."

"Selena, it's not your fault, now take over so I can recover a little. I can't be in control. Your body thinks I'm aiding your illness and hurting you. If you take over, it'll stop. Please."

I nodded quickly, then rushed to take over again.

***

I awoke in the carriage, leaning on Alex's shoulder. I could see Dad out the front window, driving. I sat up, and saw Alex look over and smile at me. I smiled back at him.

"You feeling okay?" Alex asked.

I nodded. "Serena wouldn't tell me what Angelina said. She looked awful, like she was dying."

"Yeah, while she was out here with us she cried out in pain a few times. Your illness really doesn't like her being inside of you."

"I wish I could do something to help her. I hate that I'm the one doing this to her, even though I guess it's not really my fault. I just hate hurting her."

"I know. The only thing we can do for now is keep her out of control. You're body will kill her otherwise."

"I don't like this. Alex, Serena is going to die, and she wouldn't tell me what Angelina said." I quickly turned to look at Alex. "You know what she said, don't you?"

Alex hesitated, then nodded.

"Can't you tell me?"

"This is something Serena needs to tell you." I hung my head, saddened. "But hey, if you want me to, I could talk to her. I know how to get into your little world, so I could try to get her to tell you. If she doesn't tell you, maybe she'll tell me, and I could convince her."

"Really? You really think you could?"

"I could do my best, and that's all anyone ever asks for anyway." Alex smiled.

I smiled back, feeling a lot better. "I'll talk to her when we get back."

Alex nodded.

It was quiet for a moment, then I thought of something. "Alex?"