Chapter 29

(Hey everyone. So in case you didn't see my message I put out on my board the other day, you're probably wondering why the heck you received a notification that I updated when there is no update. I accidentally hit publish instead of save, and so I copies what I had written and completely deleted the part before anyone could read it and yell at me. So yeah, if you read my message, it said that my next update would be on my birthday, November 1st, But I feel like a horrible person for what I did to you guys, so I'm updating early as an apology. Hope this makes up for all hard feelings. I love you all! And thanks so much to @20battl22 for making me feel so much better about what happened. That's why you got the dedication. And a follow, in case you didn't notice. Thanks again guys! Enjoy the chapter!)

Third Person POV:

"His wings are perfectly fine, so he can still fly around and tell us if he sees anything, but his shoulder hasn't completely recovered from the gunshot wound, so flying may be painful. When I asked him to fly for me, he kept a straight face, like he didn't want me to know if it still hurt him."

Sebastian nodded as Maria told him about her examination of Alex. By the sounds of it, Alex probably shouldn't be flying, but he needed to know more.

"It's your call, Sebastian. He's your son."

"Send him down here, Maria."

The reaper nodded, then walked back upstairs.

Sebastian called to the demons in the room. "Everyone! Find the others who are coming along and be outside in 10 minutes!"

The staff all nodded and started either making their way to the front door or locating the others. Alex, who had just made it downstairs, did his best to push his way through the mob. A few of the demons, noticing him, stopped to let him through. Alex assumed it was because he was their boss's son, and would be scolded if they did otherwise. Finally, he made it to his father.

"What now?" he asked, annoyed.

Sebastian sighed. "Did Maria tell you what was wrong?"

"Yeah, but I'm fine. Either way, you wouldn't be able to keep me here. I promised Selena I wouldn't let anything happen to her, and that I wouldn't let her die. I have to find her."

"I understand, but Selena wouldn't want you searching for her if you aren't completely healed. You know that."

"Selena doesn't want anyone to search for her because she feels that she's a lost cause. All we have to do is find her and prove to her she isn't."

Sebastian didn't respond.

"You know I'm right."

Sighing, Sebastian nodded. "I wish you weren't, but you are. Also, Alex, please remember that if when do save Selena, and you die, she'll be following right behind you."

Alex dropped his head, nodding.

"Well then," Sebastian said, changing the subject. "How's you shoulder? That was the only thing Maria said was wrong with you."

"Yeah, the gunshot was a little deeper than we had thought, and it still hurts a little, but not enough to interfere with anything."

"Good," Sebastian noted. "The other members of your team will be riding in a carriage below you. If you need a break, just fly down to them and rest for a while."

"Yes, sir!" Alex exclaimed, then rushed off.

Alex went back up to his room, where Samantha was waiting for him.

"Any idea what team you're on yet?" Alex asked her.

Samantha shook her head. "I had volunteered to stay here with you if Sebastian had ordered you not to come along. I'll have to go find out."

"Well, all the demons are gathering outside, so you'd better hurry or you're not going."

Surprised, Samantha jumped up. "They're gathering already?" Then she ran out of the room and down the stairs. Alex followed.

They reached the dining hall just as Sebastian was rolling up his papers to go outside. "Sir!" Samantha called. Sebastian looked up and smiled at her.

"Yes, Samantha?" The demon asked her.

"I should have asked sooner, but please forgive me. I lost track of time." Samantha bowed her head.

"It's quite alright. You're on Alex's team. Now, let's hurry outside, shall we?"

Samantha raised her head and smiled at her boss, nodding. Then she raced toward the door, but then stopped suddenly, turning to Alex.

"Aren't you coming?"

Alex just smiled, then ran after her into the snow outside, and also into the swarm of demons awaiting orders from his father.

***

Once everyone was there, Sebastian began to give his orders.

"Now everyone, this is a search mission, not a suicide one. I hope not to lose any of you, but depending on the number of hunters guarding Selena, we might lose a few of you. Know now that if you are to perish, you did because you were saving a poor, sick soul. If any of you want to back out now, for the sake of staying alive, you may do so. I won't fire you or kill you myself, you have my word."

No one backed out. Alex was moved by all the people who wanted to help save his sister, even if their lives were at risk. Standing beside him, Samantha looked more determined than ever.

"Well, if no one has changed their mind, then let's get into our groups and form our search parties. Alex's group, you have the carriage on the left. Maria's group, the one on the far right. These carriages are specifically designed to handle the terrain you will be searching through. Everyone else, let your leader pick a carriage and then find them. Maria, Alex and Finny, I need to speak with you for a moment before you take off. Everyone, go!"

The teams all scrambled for their carriages, while Maria, Finny, Alex, and Samantha-who didn't want to leave Alex-approached Sebastian.

"Each group has a radio so they can let me know if they've found anything. You all get another set of radios that only communicate with each other. Finny, take this one, and Maria, this one." Sebastian handed each of them a radio. "Maria, you use that one if you decide to search away from the group, because the others will need to know to follow you if they find anything. Finny, your's is the one that you will keep in your carriage, letting all of you speak to Maria if you so desire. There should already be a radio in your carriage that you will use to contact me. Go ahead."

Maria and Finny nodded, then rushed back to their carriage and the rest of their group.

Sebastian turned to Samantha and Alex. "The same goes for you two as well," he stated, handing them their radios. "Samantha, you will be responsible for keeping in touch with Alex. Alex, be sure to check in every few minutes. And remember what we talked about. Are you sure you're okay?"

Alex nodded. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Sebastian nodded. "Alright. You and Maria's team are both heading in the same general direction, so don't lose focus if you happen to run into each other. Samantha, you're the leader of this group. Make sure Alex is alright."

Samantha smiled. "I won't let anything happen to him, Sir!"

Sebastian smiled, then pulled out his radio. "Good, now go get started." He turned from his son as he started to speak into the radio. "Everyone, remember: these are demon hunters, so be extra cautious. And good luck to you all." Alex saw Sebastian run over to his group, and out of sight.

"Let's go, Alex. We have to hurry and find her." Samantha had her hand on his arm. "Are you ready?"

Alex nodded. "Let's go save my sister."