Chapter 9

The kiss was sweet, soft, and gentle. We were still wrapped around each other from hugging, but my arms tightened around his neck, not wanting to let him go. Finny tightened his grip around my waist, almost pulling me into his lap.

A few minutes later we broke away, catching our breath. I was smiling, Finny blushing. I hugged him tightly.

"For some reason, now I believe you even more," I whispered in his ear.

"Good," he whispered back. Then he pulled away. "Selena, I swear not to let anyone else hurt you."

I smiled, tears returning to my eyes. "I know you won't. Thank you."

Finny moved some stray hair out of my face and behind my ear.

"Finny?"

"Yeah?"

"Can you take me downstairs?" I asked. "Or, preferably, outside? I feel like I haven't left this room in ages."

Finny smiled, then nodded. He picked me up and carried me out of the room and downstairs.

Only Dad was in the dining room. He saw me and Finny and smiled.

"Selena wanted to go outside for a minute, Sebastian. If that's alright." Finny asked, his head bowed.

"Take her out the back," Dad answered, to my surprise. "You can't see it from the road."

Finny glanced down at me and smiled. I smiled back, then Finny walked out the back door and set me on the cool grass, he sat next to me, and we looked up at the clear sky.

We sat for hours, watching the sun set and the stars come out. I made a wish that I would get better soon on the brightest star. I was sure Finny did, too, when I glanced over and saw his eyes closed. I leaned against his shoulder, never wanting the night to end.

But sadly, all good things do come to an end. I heard something move in the bushes, and was instantly on alert. Finny seemed to have heard it too, because he was on his feet in an instant. He was helping me stand when a man stepped out from behind the green plants. Darkened by the light, Finny wasn't able to tell who he was. But I knew instantly, and the first thing I noticed was that he was surprising unarmed.

"Selena, please. I came to see you. Hear me out."

Suddenly, I felt strong and defensive. "Why should I? All you've ever tried to do is kill me. By the way, you've failed at least three times."

"Please?"

I looked at Finny, who was clearly confused. "Go get Maria," I said softly. Before he could refuse, I added, "He doesn't have any weapons with him. I'll be fine. If Dad is still in the kitchen, send him out, too."

Finny nodded, then reluctantly left. I sat back down on the ground. Well, more like fell without Finny still there to support me. I hit hard, but managed to stay upright instead of falling onto my wings.

"Why the change of heart?" I asked, not looking at him. "Maria will probably kill you for showing your face around here again."

"I don't need to speak with Maria. I came to warn you."

"Warn me about what?"

"The hunters know where you are, and the scientists aren't too happy that your father killed the leader of their whole operation. They're coming here, and fast. You need to leave."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Honestly, you probably shouldn't. For all you know I'm luring you into a trap. But if you want to live, you, Maria, and everyone else need to clear out of here."