Chapter 26

As I made my way down the stairs, I didn't feel any pain or weakness from my illness. My mind was set on finding my brother, and nothing else mattered.

Once I reached the main hall, there was a large knocking on the front door. My father, who had been following right behind me, grabbed me and pushed me into another room, Finny following.

My father had Finny hold me while he left to answer the door. Even though I tried with all my might, I couldn't break Finny's grip. Somehow he was able to keep me down without crushing me. Seeing as how I wasn't going to win, I closed my eyes and decided to check in on Alex again, to make sure he was still with me.

"Alex? Can you hear me?"

No response...

"Please, Alex. I need to know you're alright."

Nothing.

I took a deep breath, trying not to cry as my emotions started to come back to me and I started to face reality. My brother, who I've only known for a few months, could be dead, and there was nothing I could do.

I heard my father in the other room, talking with someone, but his voice was muffled through the walls, and I couldn't make out any of the conversation. Who was at the door?

"Selena?"

I almost gasped out of surprise and happiness at the sound of his voice, but held it in as to not startle Finny.

"Alex! I was so worried when you didn't answer me. I thought..."

"I know, but I'm not. I'm a little banged up, but nothing fatal."

"Thank goodness. Do you know where you are?"

Alex was silent for a moment. I knew he was still with me, I could sense his presence in my mind. When he finally answered me, I couldn't control my shock.

"Sadly, I do. Selena, I'm outside the manor right now, with the hunters. They're trying to convince your father for a trade..."

"A trade?" I asked, stunned.

"Yeah, but he's not sure what to do. The hunters keep saying they won't kill you, but you're sick, so your dad doesn't want to risk it. But they also said that if he doesn't make the trade, then I'll die."

"Can't you do anything?"

"No, there's too many of them. I could probably knock out a couple before getting shot in the face, but I don't think that's worth it."

I sighed, then realized what I had to do. "Alex, hold on. I'm coming."

"Selena, don't try to-"

"I've made up my mind Alex. I'll be there in a few minutes." With that, I disconnected myself from him, and turned to Finny.

"What is it?" He asked, concern showing clear on his face. "Are you sick again?"

I shook my head, smiling sadly at him. "Finny, I was talking to Alex just now. He said he and the hunters are out front talking to my dad." I felt my eyes start to water, and my voice waver. "They're going to kill him if I don't go with them..."

I could see the sadness in his eyes, but he refused to loosen his grip around me.

"Finny, I have to go with them. I can't let them kill Alex."

"But I can't let them kill you," Finny said, determination on his face.

"Alex said they aren't going to," I told him.

"And you really believe them?"

I sighed. "I just want my brother safe. This never would've happened if we had never gone searching for Mom. I wouldn't have met Alex, and Dad wouldn't be forced to make this tough decision."

"But then you may never have found out that you have a brother. Serena may have never existed."

"It's not like she does anymore..."

"But you still remember her. I'd rather remember someone than never have met them at all."

"But if you never met them, you wouldn't know they existed at all and would never even have to think of something like that."

Finny sighed. "I can't let you go, Selena. I'm sorry."

I sat in Finny's arms and cried. He held me, which was what he'd been doing, but this time in a more comforting way.

What was I suppose to do now? I was out of options, and it was clear Finny wasn't going to let me go any time soon. I covered my face with my hands as I cried harder. I was beginning to picture life with out my brother. For example, Christmas was right around the corner. I was looking forward to spending it with everyone, but it wouldn't be the same if we were only remembering Alex, instead of celebrating with him.

Of course, from crying came a small coughing fit, which Finny seemed to have no idea how to handle. I coughed until my throat was raw, then it finally subsided.

I stopped crying, too, even though it was very difficult. I couldn't risk more coughing and then bleeding, especially if I was going to pull off my last idea.

I glanced at Finny out of the corner of my eye. He wanted to keep me safe, and I understood that perfectly well, but I had to help my brother. I may not survive my illness, and Dad deserves for at least one of his kids to live.

I turned myself to face Finny. He smiled sympathetically at me, but I ignored it. Instead, I put my plan into motion; I leaned forward and kissed him.

Just as I expected, Finny, shocked by the sudden kiss, loosened his grip, and I took that moment to my advantage and spread my wings slightly, just enough to break his grip around me. I reluctantly broke away from our kiss a few moments later, and ran to the door of the room. I turned back to look at him, and saw tears in his eyes. They were welling up in mine as well. I opened the door and stepped into the hall.

"I love you, Finny," I admitted. I saw him stand and run for the door, yelling my name, but I closed it before he could leave. I knew he could open it easily, but I thought it would give me an extra second to go find my brother.

And with that, I ran to the main hall.

"I'm coming, Alex."