Chapter 34

"Well well well," they said. "If it isn't the one and only Sebastian Michaelis. We've been waiting for you."

Selena turned to Alex and whispered, "Alex, please, get Samantha out of here."

"I don't think so, deary," said the demon. "We've got people surrounding this area. Try to run, and you'll be shot down."

"What are you doing, Timothy?"

"Earning my freedom, Sir. I'll do anything, even if it's killing your princess."

"You won't hurt her. If you do and gain your freedom, you won't live long enough to enjoy it."

Then, one of the hunters stepped out from around the rest of them. "I am Dominic. I run this place now." He looked up into the trees. "Cut down the cage!"

A moment later, a chain broke, and the cage fell to the ground. Selena screamed, and hit the bottom of the cage hard with her head.

"Selena!" Samantha screamed.

Selena didn't respond.

Sebastian crouched to ground level, watching his daughter. Once he saw that she was breathing, he stood and faced Dominic and Timothy.

"What can I do?"

"Ha! You think you can just do something and then you can take her home? Idiot. She's mine now. You had better say your farewells, because this is the last time you'll ever see her again."

After what seemed like forever, Selena finally sat up. "Dad, save the others. Please."

Sebastian knelt down beside his daughter once again. "Selena, listen to me. I want you to stop always thinking about everyone else. You're the one in real danger here, and I plan to get you out of it."

"But Dad-"

Sebastian stood, for the first time ignoring his daughter, and turned to Alex and Samantha.

They both nodded to him, knowing what they needed to do, and what their job was.

A moment later, Sebastian shouted, "Now!"

Sebastian ran after Timothy, and Alex after Dominic. Samantha ran toward Selena, ready to fight off any of the hunters that came their way.

"Samantha, please, don't risk yourself for me."

Samantha smiled down at Selena. "Miss, I decided to risk my life for you when I became a real servant at that house. There isn't anything you can say to make me stop trying to protect you."

Selena's eyes filled with tears, but she wasn't quite sure if they were out of happiness or sorrow.

Sebastian and Alex were fighting the hunters, trying to keep them away from Selena as much as possible. One hunter made it through to Samantha. Selena screamed, but Samantha stayed and fought him off. A few moments later, the hunter fell to the ground, motionless.

Selena looked up. "Did you..."

"I don't know. But if I didn't, let's hope he doesn't get back up until we're gone. Now, Miss, please be quiet."

"I thought I told you to just call me Selena." She smiled slightly.

Samantha smiled back, "Yes, Selena, you did. Now please remain quiet."

"Alright. Just don't touch the cage. It'll hurt you."

Samantha nodded, seeing Selena's pleading face. She was touching the cage, and seemed to be in pretty rough shape. Samantha took a step forward, away from Selena and the metal cage that held her.

Selena smiled, then found her dress and sat on it again.

Sebastian was fighting Timothy at lightning speed, doing his best to kill the demon so he could worry about the hunters and save his daughter.

With Sebastian unfocused, Timothy kicked him hard in the chest, sending him flying into the trees.

When Sebastian stood a moment later, shaking off the damage, Timothy was standing before him.

"Come on, Sebastian, have you lost your touch?"

Sebastian glared at Timothy, wishing he could snap his neck. He risked a glance toward Selena, who was still in her cage, eyes watering, sitting helplessly as she stared at everyone fighting for her. Sebastian gave a small smile, then even chuckled.

"What's so funny?" Timothy demanded to know.

"What's funny is that you really thought you had Selena contained. She could break out of that cage at any moment. She just doesn't know it."

"What do you mean?"

"You made that cage out of metals that hold demons. But Selena isn't just a demon. She can get out of that cage."

Timothy, confused and agitated, growled and ran at Sebastian.

"Also," Sebastian said as he dodged out of the way.

Timothy glanced around, and saw Sebastian perched on a tree branch. "Also, you thought you could beat me. That is a mistake that will cost you your life."

Timothy ran toward the tree at lightning speed, but Sebastian was faster. He broke a sharp branch off of the tree and threw it at Timothy. It impaled the other demon, but Sebastian, knowing that a branch wouldn't be enough to kill him, jumped from the tree before his opponent was able to get up. He quickly snapped his neck, then just to be safe, stabbed him multiple times in the chest. Once he was positive Timothy would not be getting up again, he stood and ran for his daughter.

By the time Sebastian got to the cage, Samantha was tired and injured, but still doing her best to fight off her opponents. Sebastian kicked the man she was fighting in the throat, then smiled at Samantha. She smiled, exhausted, and fell to the ground.

Sebastian turned around, and saw that no one was approaching him. Instead, they were watching Alex. He was still fighting Dominic, who was bloody and shaky, but held a gun up with a still arm and aimed for Alex's head.

Alex dodged, every time getting closer and closer to Dominic. Eventually, Alex spread his wings and flew straight toward him, not caring about the bullets hitting his wings or arms. Dominic, unable to move, just stood there, shooting every bullet he had.

Moments later, two more shots rang out, and the next thing Sebastian knew, he was watching his son fall to the ground. He heard Selena and Samantha both scream, and a couple of hunters cheered in triumph. In less than a second, Sebastian had killed both of them and stood behind Dominic, using his own gun against him.

"Now, I was going to kill you either way, but if you and your men have killed my son, I swear, your death will be much slower and much more painful than it was going to be. So you better hope your men are a lot smarter than they look."