Chapter 4

(Hello all! Guess what. Its my 16th birthday! Happy birthday to me!! I thought I would update for you guys today. The picture this time wasn't going to be a cover, I just really liked it.)

Third Person POV:

As Alex held the unconscious Selena tightly in his arms, he listened in on Sebastian and Maria's conversation.

"I'm surprised you never figured it out, Sebastian. It's been pretty obvious. I merely took some books from the library about the history of the half angel, half demon species. That's how I knew how to help her so far."

"Can we not talk about this now?" Sebastian was almost begging. "Selena more than likely won't remember any of this when she wakes up."

"Good," Maria said. "The less she knows, the better."

Alex interrupted. "Umm... is Peter...?"

"No. He's not going to be a reaper. He is going to stay human, although he does know that there are other beings out there. He did help me find Selena, after all."

Sebastian turned to Alex. "Take her upstairs," was all he said.

Alex only nodded, then ascended the stairs.

"And what will you do if Selena does remember?" Sebastian asked, returning to the original topic.

"Then she remembers. There's nothing I can do. At least she'll know that I know what I'm doing."

Sebastian was quiet, then he said, "I'm going to the manor. I'll come back tomorrow."

"See you then," she said. Once Sebastian was out the door, she thought to herself, dirty demon.

***

Alex brought Selena up the stairs, Sebastian and Maria's conversation faintly playing in the background. Once he rounded the corner, he saw someone standing outside Selena's room.

It was Peter. He stared at Alex, and Alex stared right back. Eventually, Peter dropped his gaze, and opened the door to let Alex inside.

Alex walked through the doorway and lay Selena on her bed. Her wings were bloody from torn stitches, her face was pale, and she squirmed slightly.

Alex knew there was nothing he could do, so he pulled the covers over her and sat in a chair by her bed.

Peter was still there. "Is she okay?" he asked softly.

Alex turned to the young boy, who looked maybe ten. He didn't want to lie to him, so he gave the blunt truth. "I don't know, kid. I wish I could tell you she was going to pull through easily, but this is one fight that hasn't been decided yet."

Peter nodded, then returned to his room.

While Selena slept, Alex went downstairs to find Maria. He found her in the dining room alone.

"Where are the others?" He asked her.

"Gone back to the manor. They'll be back in the morning."

Alex nodded. "Maria, why didn't you tell everyone from the beginning?"

Maria sighed. "Because demons and reapers aren't the best of friends. If I didn't lie to them, then they never would have let me help them."

"Why were you hunting Selena to begin with?"

"Because my husband was, and I wasn't going to go against him. He's probably the only human out there that still scares me."

"Why did you marry a human?"