Chapter 1

(Guess who's back, guys! ME!! YAY! So I just wanted to welcome all of you to book three in my Sebastian's Daughter series. The cover is Alex this time, because I couldn't find a picture of Selena that matched the art style of the previous covers. I'm also hoping to make Alex a pretty important character, so..... yeah. This addition to the series is called Recovering the Lost. If you haven't read Sebastian's Daughter or Quest for the Lost, why are you here? Go away and come back after you read those! I already warned you about this in the description! Anyway, please enjoy Recovering the Lost.

Why are you still here!! You people that haven't read the others need to leave now! Even the first sentence contains spoilers! Leave and return after you read the others and we'll be buddies, okay? Okay! Love you guys! Enjoy!)

Waking up from surgery, I felt better than I had in a long time. Not one hundred percent, or even fifty, but better than I had.

Sure, my wings were still in a lot of pain. And sure, I could very well still be dying. But I woke up. That was why I felt better. Maybe I had a chance in surviving after all.

Since I was lying on my stomach, I carefully rolled over and sat up. I noticed I wasn't hooked up to any machines or anything, so maybe I was allowed to move around as much as I wanted. It's not like my legs had had the surgery.

I carefully removed the covers and touched my toe to the wooden floor. It was cold, but not horrible. I put my foot down on the ground, followed by the other, and moved toward the door, one step at a time.

When I succeeded in reaching the door, I almost screamed in happiness. But screaming would let them know I was awake, and I wanted to surprise everyone.

I stepped through the doorway and into the hallway..... right onto someone's hand.

They cried out in pain and I jerked my foot back, causing me to lose my balance. I fell backward, and almost hit the floor. Then I realized I wasn't moving anymore.

I looked up and saw Alex smiling down at me. I smiled back, then he pulled me back up and hugged me. I hugged him back tightly, willing myself not to cry.

"Alex, I..." I let my sentence trail off, not really sure how I would sound saying aloud that I had woken up.

"You woke up," he said. "I knew you would."

I felt a tear run down my cheek as I pulled away and smiled at him. He wiped it away with his thumb, then wrapped one arm around my waist. I put my arm across his shoulders.

"Let's show everyone else. They're waiting downstairs."

I nodded, beaming. Alex returned my smile, then led me downstairs to see everyone else.

***

We made it down the stairs, me leaning heavily against Alex for support. I had just woken up from surgery after all.

I had a small fear that Maria would rush me straight back to bed and chain me down. She worried too much. All I was worried about was getting better. And if I was still being hunted, but that was for another time.

Alex led me to the dining room, where the first person I saw was Finny. He was sitting in a dark brown wooden chair by the table that was the same color. Staring at his hands, he seemed lost in thought.

I whispered over to Alex. "How long was I asleep?"

"About a week, actually," Alex answered, almost reluctantly. "But that did give her the time to run other tests to find out what all was killing you. Like if you dying was caused by severe infection, your angel half dying, or anything else. And this way, you couldn't fight back."

I stared at him, wide eyed. "What did you people do to me?!"

Alex laughed quietly. "Nothing, I promise! I was only kidding, anyway."

"Mmm-hmm," I hummed, then let go of him and clumsily ran to Finny, hugging him from behind.

Finny jumped as I shocked him, and his head hit my chin. I pulled away, holding my mouth and stumbling backward. I felt gentle hands catch me, and looked back to see Alex. He rolled his eyes at me, and I smacked him.

I stood again, tasting blood in my mouth, and tightly hugged Finny, who had walked over to us.

I pulled away and smiled brightly at him, then looked around, losing my smile. "Where's Dad and Maria?"

Finny smiled. "Maria actually just went to check on you. Won't she be in for a surprise?"

I laughed, then asked. "Dad?"

Finny motioned toward a white door with his head. "He's in the kitchen fixing dinner for the rest of us. Come on, I'll take you too him." He held out his arm.

I happily linked arms with Finny, but had to reluctantly pull away from Alex. I gave him a smile, then turned to walk with Finny to the kitchen to see my father.

***

Finny knocked on the kitchen door once before entering, gently pulling me behind him.

I saw my father for the first time in a week. His back was to me. He was leaning over a counter top cutting vegetables, working on chopping each to perfection. He finished about a minute later, then turned to me and Finny.

I could see his eyes light up as he saw me standing in the doorway to the kitchen, smiling at him. I let go of Finny's arm and ran to my father, hugging him tighter than I had been able to in months.

"You feel stronger already," Dad whispered. "Maria truly is a miracle worker."

I smiled, still hugging my father, tears starting to swim in my eyes. But before I could shed a single tear, a scream pulled me back to reality. I couldn't cry out of happiness just yet. Maria probably thought I had been kidnapped.

Finny grabbed my arm and half dragged me up the stairs, then I felt Alex pick me up. He carried me to the top of the stairs, then set me down again. Finny and Alex both held my arms as we walked around on the top floor, searching for Maria.

We found her in the bathroom checking the window. Alex knocked, and Maria turned to face us. Her face looked like she may have a heart attack.

When her eyes landed on me, theyfilled with tears of happiness. She ran over and hugged me, and I let go of the boys and hugged her back.

She let go of me and turned to Alex, looking stern. "I thought you were waiting by her room so that you could let me know when she woke up. Why did you take her anywhere else than the bathroom!?"

Alex was smiling. "Come on, Maria, you can't really be mad. She wanted to see her father. Can you blame her?"

Maria dropped her gaze and sighed. "Of course I can't. I understand perfectly." She was silent for a moment, then finished, quietly. "He's all she has left."

Well, nice of them to talk about me like I wasn't even there, right? I cleared my throat, trying to make my physical presence known.

Maria thought I was dying. "Oh my gosh, dear. Do you need some water?" she asked, freaking out.

I shook my head. "No, I'm fine."

"Well, let's get you something anyway. You've been out for a week."

Maria ran down the stairs, dragging Finny with her.

Alex laughed. "Maybe we should go and make sure the poor kid doesn't get hurt."

I laughed. "If anyone could hurt Finny, it would be Maria when she goes full out doctor."

Alex wrapped his arm around me, and led me down stairs after Maria and Finny.