Chapter 17

When we reached my room, I half expected Alex to be back, waiting for me with his worried expression he always seemed to wear, but he wasn't, and I was somewhat relieved. Samantha left me at the door, saying she would send someone up to guard the hallway and a team out to search the grounds. I nodded and closed the door, then walked over and sat on my bed.

I was there for a good hour, trying to fall asleep. I could only keep thinking about the noises I'd heard, who might have been following me, and why. I glanced over at the table beside my bed, where I had lit another candle, and saw my birthday presents. Well, all but Dad's, which was hanging in the wardrobe.

I pulled the stuffed bear off the table and hugged it tightly, feeling dumb for acting like a child, but also comforted by something familiar in this large and new place. I sat up and decided to change into my dress that my father had gotten me, realizing I had never worn it. It fit perfectly, just like I had expected.

I opened the drawer in the small table that held the candle on top and found the charm bracelet from Alex. I slipped it on and smiled, then reached again into the drawer to pull out the necklace Finny had given me. Also in the drawer was Mom's necklace, the one thing I had left of her besides the white flower that she had worn in her hair, but we'd had to leave it behind in Maria's house. I put on Mom's necklace, then looked at mine from Finny. I took the black rose off of the chain and clipped it to my charm bracelet. Hopefully Finny would be fine with it and understand.

I jumped when I heard a knock on the door. The knock had sounded hesitant. I walked over and opened the door. Alex was standing there. I glanced out the doorway and saw a large man dressed in black standing in the hall. He nodded to me then walked down the hall. I assumed he was searching for whatever had been in the hall earlier. I let Alex inside, and he closed the door behind him.

"Ok, so why is there a giant man outside your room?" Alex asked, looking a bit shocked.

"First of all, the entire staff is made up of demons, and all of them seem to know Dad somehow. Second, I left my room at about four thirty because you weren't in here like you had said you would be, and I wanted to find you. After I left, I kept sensing someone. I didn't know who, but then I heard footsteps and it chased me to the end of the hall. I'd hid myself behind my wings as my last line of defense, and then some servant girl found me and brought me back here and posted a guard in the hallway."

Alex stared at me for a moment, taking it all in. Then he said, "So you have your own personal bodyguard?"

"For the time being, yes."

Alex smiled at me, then grew quiet.

I broke the silence. "So why did you leave last night?"

He took a deep breath. "I heard it, too."

"What?"

"The footsteps. I went outside to find out who was in the halls. I guess the door woke you up when I left. Sorry for the scare. I did tell your father about it, though. And after what you heard, they won't leave you alone. We know someone is here and after you."

"So what am I supposed to do?" I asked, sitting on the bed. I'd started to feel weak and shaky, but I didn't want Alex to know. He'd tell me to sleep, and I wanted to keep talking to him. I wanted to know everything about my brother, how he'd lived the 15 years we were apart. I knew, of course, that this wasn't the time to ask him. But the last thing a sick person wants to do is sleep when there is something she could be doing to help. At least, for me, anyway.

"You are supposed to stay with someone at all times, whether it's one of us or the staff. We've given all of the staff members a mark on their left wrist, so you'll know if you can trust them or not."

"I guess Dad sent you to tell me all this?"

Alex nodded.

I sighed. "So does someone have to follow me to the restroom? Wait with their backs turned while I change my clothes?"

Alex smiled. "Hopefully, we can trust you enough to just scream if you see something."

I gave a small laugh, then turned my head to look outside, to watch the sunrise.

Alex held out his hand. I took it, and he led me over to the window to get a better view.

The sunrise was orange and pink and yellow, and beautiful. A few trees blocked a small portion of the sky, but it wasn't unbearable.

I shifted my gaze from the sunrise to the bare trees. The winter was for some reason kinder than it had been while in North America, so it hadn't been too cold or snow covered. The grass and trees were all dead and waiting for spring.

While lost in my thoughts, I saw something move out the corner or my eye. I shook my head, clearing it, then concentrated on the ground.

"Are you all right?" Alex asked.

"Did you not see that?"

"See what?"

I shrugged. "Nothing, I guess."

Alex nodded, then stood and walked over to the bed and sat down.

I continued searching the grounds for what I had seen. The problem was, I didn't know what I was searching for. I was looking for a solid minute when I saw something.

There was a man holding a gun, aiming at my window.

I screamed.

(A/N: Sorry it's really bad! I don't even know with this one. Just don't murder me, or stab me, or stop reading. Yeah, that last one would definitely be the worst. Anyway, love you guys!)