Chapter 24

When I woke up, it was early morning, and Finny was sitting beside me. I hadn't opened my eyes yet, but I could sense it was him. The way he gently stroked my hair like someone would the petals of a flower, and the fact that he was touching me at all helped assure me it was definitely him.

I turned to face him and let my eyes flutter open. I smiled at his gentle and familiar face. He returned my smile quickly, and helped me sit up.

Once comfortable, I stretched my wings. Finny gazed at them in wonder. I looked back at my demon wing, thankful to have it back, and be one step closer to normal.

I tore my eyes from my wing and rested them on Finny. I hadn't had time to talk to him for ages it seemed. We exchanged a few words after the fight with the hunters, but Alex was with us and Finny had had to leave to get my father. It felt good to know that now I could talk to him, just us.

I reached my arms out and wrapped them around him. He hugged me back, and I rested my head on his shoulder. The thing was, I didn't really have anything to talk about. I just wanted him to hold me for a little while, and I had a feeling he wanted the same.

***

Third Person POV:

Alex and Sebastian were downstairs in the dining hall. Alex was sitting at the table, thinking of Selena. She really does love Finny, he realized, thinking of her request to spend the day with him. He shrugged to himself. It could be worse.

Sebastian was barking orders to the demons in the dining hall who were in charge of fixing breakfast. Only Peter and Finny and maybe Maria would eat it, but he apparently thought it should still be a meal fit for a king.

Sebastian's been around that kid too long, Alex thought with a grin.

Sebastian turned to Alex, who was still smiling. "What?"

Alex shook his head.

Sighing, Sebastian sat at the table across from his son. "So Finny is with Selena today?"

Alex nodded. "She said she felt like she hadn't seen him in a long time, so she wanted to be with him for a while."

Sebastian nodded his understanding. "Fair enough. That gives us some time to talk."

Alex groaned in annoyance. "Sebastian, I'd rather not."

"Alex, but I feel that I need to explain to you why your mother and I did what we did."

"Selena explained it just fine! I understand it was for our protection. I'm thankful that I'm probably only still alive now because of you."

"But something is bothering you, Alexander. I can tell." Sebastian leaned closer to his son, desperate to know what was bothering him about the whole situation.

"It's just that my parents...... well, my other parents, I guess, were good people. They gave their lives protecting me. And now they're gone." Alex looked down at his hands. "Sebastian, they wouldn't have died if you hadn't given me away. They would still be living out their lives and enjoying it."

"I'm sorry they perished, but they chose to take you in. They were warned of what might happen, and they said they would do anything to protect you. They chose to die for you. I wish they hadn't had too, because I knew them personally. You aren't the only one affected by their deaths."

Alex glanced up at his father, who seemed sincere. "You know almost all of the demons, don't you? Of course you would somehow know them."

"No, I don't know all the demons, and the one who adopted you was a good friend of mine. Look, where I was trying to go with all of this was that I want you to stop thinking of me as some random demon who is the father of your best friend. I want you to think of me more as your father. Call me whatever you want, but how you feel about me doesn't change the past or the fact that you're my son."

At that, Alex stood. He didn't want to hear this, and told his father so.

"Alex...."

"I'm going to get some air," Alex interrupted, walking toward the front entrance.

Sebastian just sighed. "Please be careful. And look for anything suspicious."

"Will do," he said, then ran for the door and out into the forest surrounding the manor.

Once there, Alex spread his wings and lifted himself into the sky. He flew high up in the sky for about an hour, just trying to clear his head and relieve some stress. Then he noticed something.

He flew closer to the ground, trying to get a better look. Once there, he instantly regretted it.

Down on the ground, headed for the manor, was a mob of demon hunters. A few of them noticed him flying overhead, and pulled their weapons.

Alex flew upward in a panic, trying to get away, to warn the others, but to no avail. The hunters were swarming after him. Shots were fired, and Alex wasn't able to dodge them all.

Hit in the left wing, the leg, and the stomach, Alex was unable to fly further and fell to the ground, into the crowd of awaiting hunters.

(Attention! Very long but very important authors note ahead. Please please please read!!!

Okay guys, I first off want to apologize for the long wait. This was probably the hardest Writer's Block has ever hit me. School is starting back in four days, and I have no clue when the next chapter will be up because of that. So please stop asking me when I'll have it up. Also, sorry for such lame and awful update.

Next, sometime in the past week or so, I hit 1000 followers. That huge. I never in my life thought I would ever accomplish something this huge. So I wanted to do something to celebrate. Now, with this being wattpad, and the only thing that I really can do here is post stories, here's what I can do.

1) I can let you all pick a story that I haven't worked on in a while and I'll start it up again.

2) You can choose one of the stories in my Story Ideas book and I'll start that. (Excluding Monster and A Match Made in Heaven?)

3) You can choose one of the request stories in the requests chapter of Story ideas.

You guys choose one by PMing me your vote or posting it in the comments section of this chapter only! It'll make my life a lot easier. And if you made it this far, your awesome and deserve a cookie for all your loyalty and patience. Too bad I don't have one. Voting ends at the end of August, unless I feel like extending it. Love you all! Thanks for reading!)