Chapter 38

(So here it is, guys. Brace yourselves for the final chapter of Recovering the Lost. Also a super long author's note at the end, but be sure to read it! Enjoy!)

"What?" Finny asked, confused and stunned. "I thought he had helped us. Why would he be back for her?"

"I have no idea. Sebastian told me to come here and take her as far away as possible while he deals with him."

"But you can't lift her, can you?"

"I could. But I don't really like to transform. But in this case, I have no choice. Finny, you can't open your eyes until I leave, alright?"

Finny nodded, not sure at first what he was hearing. Transform? It must be a demon thing, and Finny knew he had better listen to Samantha. She was never this stern while speaking. She was always soft and kind. But she had a job to do, and he wasn't going to get in the way of it.

"Alright," Finny said, placing Selena back in the snow. "I'm going back to the lab. I'll make sure no one gets inside and messes with Maria."

Samantha nodded. As she waited for Finny to be out of sight, she contemplated transforming. She didn't want to; she hated the thought of becoming someone she wasn't. But she really had no choice.

When Finny was finally out of sight, and she could no longer hear his footsteps in the soft snow, she transformed, grabbed Selena, and ran as far away from the lab as possible.

***

Selena's POV:

I awoke, but it was only for a moment. I felt the wind whipping at my hair and clothes, and I could feel someone carrying me, but it felt like an animal. I could feel something like claws against my skin, and I immediately shrank back, trying to make myself smaller.

A deeper, but still recognizable voice called out to me. "Don't worry Selena. It's just me."

I relaxed in Samantha's arms, and fell back to sleep.

***

When I woke up again, I was on a bed in what looked like a motel. I sat up, and noticed no one else was in the room. I stood on shaky legs, and walked over to the door after being sure my wings were out of sight. It was then that I remembered I was still only in my this under dress, and that hiding my wings would be near impossible to do.

Still, I opened the door, and I heard someone outside jump. I looked out and saw Samantha standing next to the wall beside the door.

"What are you doing out here?" I asked her.

"The real question is, what are you doing out here?" she asked, gently nudging me back into the room.

Once we were inside, she closed the door and turned to face me. "Shouldn't you still be resting?"

"I don't know. How long has it been?"

"Only a little over an hour, I believe."

"But why am I here? Where exactly is here? Why were you in the hall? Where's my brother?"

"You're at an inn in Virginia. I was out in the hall speaking with your father on the radio so I wouldn't wake you. Your brother is perfectly fine, and is back in Boston with your father, Finny, and Maria."

"Virginia?" I asked. "You managed to get me to Virginia within an hour?"

Samantha nodded. "The others will be here soon."

"But why did you bring me here in the first place? I thought we were going home."

"We'll go back to London if you wish, but your father instructed me to get you as far away from the lab as possible, and this inn was as far as I could manage."