Chapter 2

(And welcome to chapter two! I know it took forever, but I was busy with school and play practice and watching Supernatural and a bunch of other stuff. But this one's longer than the others have been. Accidently, bit still longer. The picture above (on the app) or to the right (on the website) was a cover idea before I got the one that I have now. The next chapter will have another one, and maybe another after that. I just thought you guys could at least have a chance to see what I went through to pick. Enjoy chapter two! Love you all!!)

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, Maria was already waiting there with a glass of water. I took it from her and drank it slowly. Then saw everyone watching me and gulped it down. I handed the glass back to Maria, smiling.

"Want more?" she asked.

I shook my head, then walked over to the table and sat in one of the chairs. No one took their eyes off of me.

"Will you please stop staring at me like that?" I finally pleaded. It was really awkward.

My dad and Maria laughed, while Finny and Alex just smiled.

***

Third Person POV:

Alex could tell by the look on Selena's face that she wanted to ask something. He walked over and sat in the chair next to her's.

"What is it? What's on your mind?" He asked her gently.

"I just..." she trailed off.

Maria sat at the table across from Selena. "What's the matter, sweetie?"

"..."

Finny put his hand on her shoulder.

"Am I going to get better?" Selena asked softly, looking down at her hands.

Maria was quiet for a moment, then answered. "I'm going to be honest with you. You're still very sick, Selena. You had a high fever about an hour before you woke up. You still look pale and flushed. You really should be in bed resting."

Selena looked up from her hands, but didn't meet anyone's gaze. She stared at the wall, the old white paint starting to chip.

Maria continued. "You had a very severe infection throughout your wings that was starting to spread. I couldn't do anything but give you medication for it. I cleaned out a lot as I fixed your wings, but I couldn't get all of it, of course. Hopefully you're on your way to becoming who you were."

Selena finally met Maria's eyes. "But I'm still changing. When will I be well enough to work with Alex?"

Maria's eyes looked tired and sorrowful. "I'm sorry dear, but I don't know. I'm trying. That's all I can do for now."

Selena nodded, then stood shakily from her seat. "I'm going back to my room." Then she walked to the stairs and up them, clinging to the rail for dear life.

***

Selena's POV:

I made my way up the stairs and down the hall, but when I let go of the wall to reach for the doorknob, I lost my balance and fell on my side. I heard bandages rip, and felt the sharp pain from my wing as it moved. I bit my lip to keep from crying out in pain. I didn't want them to continue to worry about me.

I rolled onto my stomach and tried to push myself up, but my arms were weak and I couldn't do it. I thought about just staying on the floor, and waiting for someone to find me, when I felt something strange. I lifted my head and turned to face down the hall.