Chapter 18

(This update is for my little sister, because today is her 13th birthday! Every one of you should pop over to her profile and wish her a happy birthday and congrats on becoming a teenager! Her name is fuzzybunny16. And happy Derby Day!)

Everything happened so fast. Alex was pulling me away from the window, the person below was shooting at us, and I heard the door to my room burst open and servants flood inside, all led by my father.

Dad was barking orders to everyone, telling demons to guard the doors and keep everyone out of this hallway. He told Alex to take me to a different room, and the next thing I knew, Alex was carrying me down the hall to another unknown place.

Once we were in another room, Alex sat me on the bed, then sat beside me. He had a look of determination on his face that was unlike any I had ever seen before.

I wanted to say something, but had no idea what, or if speaking would give away our location. I pulled my legs up to my chest and hugged my knees, keeping to myself.

There was a knock on the door, and Alex stood and walked toward it. He pressed his ear to the door, then a moment later, opened it.

I held my breath as the door creaked open. Once I could see who was there, I released my held breath and put my feet back on the ground.

It was Samantha. She hurried into the room so Alex could close the door again. She smiled sympathetically at me. I just looked away. I was tired of people's sympathy. I just wanted Serena to make up her mind about everything.

"Selena, we need to talk."

"Speak of the devil," I whispered.

Alex and Samantha glanced at me.

I closed my eyes. "Could you have possibly been able to pick a worse time?"

"I know, but this is important. You may be able to help fight back."

"Alright. Just a second."

"Hurry."

"Alex," I said, opening my eyes.

He nodded. "Go ahead. We'll protect you."

I smiled at them, then left to find Serena.

***

I saw Serena standing alone waiting for me. Her black fog was visible behind her, and it made me a little nervous.

"So are you ready to talk? About what Angelina said?"

Serena nodded. "Selena, no matter what I say, or how you feel, please let me finish before you say anything. It's a lot and really hard to take in."

I nodded, and waited for her to explain.

"Angelina has a medication that should help you, but it's poison to angels and demons separately. So for you to be able to take the medicine, we have to join together again. The reason it's taken me so long to think about it was I've just started living on my own, separate from you, and it's a great feeling to be somewhat free, to make my own choices. The main reason I separated from you was to help you and Alex remember each other. The whole thing about helping you discover your gifts was a cover. Only you can discover what powers are hidden within you. And trust me, there are a few of them." Serena smiled sadly. "Anyway, once we join together again, I won't be here anymore. I'll be inside of you. We might still be able to talk to each other like this, but I don't know. I think everything will go back to normal. But I'm ready to do whatever I need to do to help you. Are you?"