Chapter 5

(Hey guys! Sorry for not updating. The Internet has been out at home and I finally reached a place with free WiFi! Yay! As always, I hope you enjoy it! I love all of you!)

Gasping, I looked around the room, moved my arms, did anything to make sure I was me again. I sighed in relief.

Alex walked over to me, his eyes their original color as well. "You okay?" He asked, kneeling down next to me. I nodded and smiled at him. He smiled back, then helped me stand. The first person I acknowledged was Maria.

"I knew you weren't human from the beginning, Maria," I tried saying as nicely as I could, but it still sounded like it did the last time I had spoken those words. "So you didn't come out and say it because you were scared I wouldn't trust you?"

Maria slowly nodded. "I only want to help you get well, Selena. And I should be able to do that. I know why your angel side is dying, and I might be able to fix that as well as cure you from whatever it is that's killing you. I'll do my best, dear."

I nodded, then turned to my father. "I do want my question answered, though, Dad. Why do you seem to love my angel side so much? I thought you would want me to be like you."

Dad was quiet for a moment, and I was afraid he wasn't going to answer. Then I felt myself go stiff, and say snidely, "Answer the question, Daddy," then I returned to normal.

"I don't care for a single part of you more than the other. I just want my daughter to be herself again, the one she was born to be."

I lost control again. "But what if-"

My father interrupted. "You said you would go back to being who you were. Now do it."

"Hmph," I said, crossing my arms, then returning to normal.

I sat down heavily on the bed. "Why does this have to happen to me?"

Alex sat next to me. "If it makes you feel better, I think I finally thought of some exercises that will help you stay connected to your angel side a while longer. Hopefully it will be long enough for Maria to figure out what we have to do."

I nodded. "Dad? Did Finny stay at the manor?"

"Yes. I told him I would handle it."

"Okay."

"Selena, if you're alright, I have to get back. Are you going to be alright?"

I looked at my dad and smiled. My smile, not the demon smirk. "I'll be fine, Daddy. I promise."

He smiled and hugged me, then left.

"Alex, will you take care of her and Peter for me for a couple hours? I'm going to the library to see if I can find any information on what's going on here." Maria seemed to be in a rush.

"Sure thing," he said with a smile. "Is there any way we could get Peter to sleep in a chair in here or something? He'd be easier to watch."

"He should be asleep by now. Just listen for him please. His room is right next door." Maria tapped lightly on the wall for emphasis, then smiled, waved, and left.

We were both silent for a few minutes. I didn't want to rest and risk waking up and not being myself, but the other half of me knew how to take control whenever it wanted. What was I supposed to do at a time like this?

It was Alex that broke the silence. "So, do you wanna try those exercises?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but froze. My words wouldn't come. It was like the other person inside of me was against trying to return us to normal. I felt blood pounding behind my eyes, and I squeezed them closed.

I felt Alex put his hand on my shoulder. I opened my eyes, which were still pounding, and looked at him.

His eyes turned red, too, and he said, "Let me talk to her, okay?"

I nodded, took a deep breath, and let my other half take complete control.

***

Third Person POV:

"Did you call for me?" Selena asked, eyes glowing bright red and the black mist circling her.

"Yeah, right. You were about to torment Selena again. She has no idea what's going on."

"That's not my fault. Maybe one of you should let her know. I'm obviously not leaving any time soon." She smirked. "Look Alex, there are things I know that you and Selena don't. I could teach you both so many things about yourselves."

"And how do I know you aren't lying to me?"

"You don't. You'll just have to trust me."

"I'll never trust you."

"Alex," she said, "it pains me to hear you say that."

Alex rolled his eyes. "One last thing."

"Anything."

"Do you and Selena have different names? You called her Selena, so I wasn't sure. And it would be nice to have something to call you other than 'the other half'."

Selena's mouth smirked, but of course it wasn't Selena doing this. "I like to call myself Serena," she said. "I'm somewhat the same as this girl, but not quite."

"How long have you been around, anyway?"

"Alex, dear, I thought you said you weren't going to ask any more questions. But if you insist, I have been inside this girl since the day she was born, Alex. We're the same being, the same monster. When she suffers, I suffer. I feel her physical and emotional pain. When our mom died, sure I was heartbroken, but I was happy it wasn't our dad. I'm a demon, Alex. Selena is an angel. I'll never know some of her pains, and she'll never understand any of mine." The smirk was gone from Serena's mouth, and the mischievous glint was gone from her eyes. "I just wish that we could be two different people."

"Serena, you can't be two different people. You and Selena have to join together again or their won't be any more of either of you."

Serena sighed. "I know, but I just want to live as me, not someone I'm not."

"You will be who you are. Who you are is who you were. You can't be you if you don't return to normal."

Serena was silent. There was nothing to say.

"Look, Selena and I are going to do some exercises. See if we can keep her alive while Maria is working. If you feel any objections, find a way to communicate with Selena. You don't need to scare her every time you want to say something. I'm sure there's a way to ask her if you can take over for a little while. Maybe you need some exercises too."

"Maybe. I'll go back now. Sorry for bugging you. And sorry for scaring you, Selena. You're a part of me, and yet all I do is scare you. Let's try to work this out, okay?"

Serena then closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. Then Selena's body fell back onto the bed, motionless.