Chapter 31

"The snow looks so pretty from up here," Samantha observed in awe as Alex carried her toward their destination of the United States. "It's so sparkly, and you can see it like this all the time. I wish I was an angel, sometimes. I'd love to fly like a graceful bird without transforming into some horrid creature..." Even as distracted as she was by her thoughts, she never loosened her death grip around Alex's neck.

"Well, I can take you up here any time you want me to. Once we find Selena and get her back home and better, none of us will be as busy as we have been recently. Maybe once we get back I'll show you the snow in the sunlight."

"Really?" Samantha cheerfully inquired. "You'd do that?"

"Sure. I like watching your reactions to the things I see every day. Reminds me that I'm lucky to be who I am, no matter what the humans or anyone else thinks."

"That's a great way of putting it. Maybe it's possible that becoming a demon was a gift, and I just haven't found my purpose yet."

Alex smiled. "Keep thinking like that, and there will be no reason to fear who you are."

Samantha gave a small smile and seemed to glow a bit with happiness. "Thanks, Alex. That's just what I've been needing to hear."

"Always willing to be of assistance."

Samantha gazed back down at the sparkling snow until they flew over the shore and over the open ocean.

"Look!!!" Samantha screamed, pointing at the water. "Dolphins!"

Alex glanced down at the mammals hopping out of the water and smiled. He lowered his altitude down to just above sea level; just above the dolphins. 

Samantha gasped in amazement as she watched the dolphins from close up, who didn't seem to mind their company.  She reached out one hand to the dolphins, her other wrapped tightly around Alex's neck, and let her finger graze the smooth, wet surface of the animal's skin.

"This is amazing. I never imagined myself touching a dolphin."

Alex smiled at her. "Well, you are."

A few moments later, the dolphins whistled and swam away. Samantha waved to them, then sighed. 

"They're so free. They can do anything they want to and be happy. They get to live the way they want, while we're stuck in a manor, living in the dark and away from everyone we used to know and love. I wish we could be that way."

Alex lost his smile. "Did you have to leave your family?"

Samantha nodded.  "They weren't the greatest people. My parents both abused my siblings, but never hurt me. But of course, since my siblings hated that I was the one being left alone, they would always team up against me and beat me. Once I became a demon and faked my death, I couldn't keep myself from watching over them. My parents wept for days, never knowing what had happened to me. My brother and sisters, they all seemed glad I was gone. Their parents didn't have their favorite anymore, and I believe they stopped getting beaten as well.  Maybe that's the only reason getting turned into a demon was a gift. My siblings aren't being hurt anymore."

Alex had no idea what to say. He wasn't expecting his question to get her entire backstory, and had no clue it could be so tragic for such a kind and generous girl who was only about his age. 

Samantha wrapped her arms around Alex's neck again, and lay her head on his shoulder. "Are we close?" 

"I'm not sure how far out we are. I slowed us down at the dolphins, so we're a little behind-"

"Then why are you still talking to me? Hurry up! We have to save Selena!"

Alex smiled at the thought of rescuing his sister, and how much Samantha cared and wanted her brought home. With a playful smirk, Alex immediately picked up speed. Samantha gave a surprised yelp, and then smiled into the wind as they headed toward America.

***

Selena's POV:

I fell asleep again after I had spoken to Alex, and when I awoke, I immediately knew that something wasn't right. The first thing I noticed was that it was no longer as cold as before. Next, it was daylight.

I slowly sat up after checking to make sure there weren't any guards around. I turned and noticed a blanket had been lay over me as I slept. I had no idea where it came from, but I wasn't complaining.

"Selena Michaelis?"

I jumped at the sound of my name and immediately hid under the blanket. I had no idea who had spoken to me, but I wanted them to go away. They couldn't kill me now, not after Alex promised he was coming and was going to help me.

"Selena? Please, I promise I'm on your side."

I slowly peaked out from under the blanket and saw a young man in a dark red suit. He had short black hair and was fairly tall.

"Who are you?" I asked in a raspy voice.

"It doesn't matter who I am. I just need you to trust me."

"How can you expect me to trust some random stranger who won't even tell me his name?"

The man gave a dark smirk as his eyes began to glow a bright crimson. "Such a wise young lady. It's a shame you have to die."

I glared at him. "You're a demon. Why are you doing this to me? You obviously know who my father is. Aren't you worried about what he'll do to you?"

The demon laughed. "Of course not. You're daddy is a powerful demon, but he's not the strongest. I happen to be working for the people who can put an end to his life."

"No one can kill my dad. And you won't talk down on him in front of me."

"Oh yeah? And what are you doing to do, trapped inside a cage that is literally burning your life force away?"

"What are you talking about?" I asked, confused.

"That cage you've been trapped in for the past 24 hours isn't any ordinary anti demon cage, deary. It happens to be sucking life out of you every time you touch it."

"How is a cage able to do that?"

"An old dark magic. That blanket you've been clinging to helps the cage absorb you're energy. So either freeze to death or stay warm and exhausted until you die. Either way, the hunters get what they want, and I get my freedom."

The man laughed, walking away. I quickly threw the blanket through the bars of the cage and let it fall to the snow covered ground.

I glanced around, but still could see no sign of buildings anywhere. I was surrounded by nothing but trees, probably to help keep me hidden from the general public.

I sat on my knees, on top of my skirt, and spoke aloud:

"Alex, please. Get here soon."