12. Tearful secrets

Start from the beginning

“It will be alright, sweetheart,” he says promisingly.

I turn around and stop sobbing as I look into my mate’s eyes. The warmth in them makes me shiver and I wonder slightly exactly what will be alright? I press my lips quickly to his and take a good look at all three of them. I stop with Princess and hold her gaze strongly.

“You met John today,” I state without a hint of emotion. “You and Father went to see him.”

“We did,” Princess says surprised. “How did you know? We didn’t tell anyone.”

“You don’t need to tell me,” I sigh, all raspy from the crying. I wipe away a few tears from my face as I lock in all the feelings again. “What he did to me was wrong in so many ways. I wish he rather killed me. It’s all over now. I can’t believe it’s over.”

“Don’t wish yourself dead,” Adam says and kisses the palm of my hand. “I am happy that you are here.”

“I don’t want to discuss John,” I shudder. “I don’t want to lose myself. I want to forget and start anew.”

Princess nods seriously. “You won’t have to deal with him anymore, I promise. All the evidence needed for the trial is in the report Gretel wrote after your testimony.”

“He’ll end up dead anyway. Ripped apart limb by limb just like the prisoners were during the lesson today.” The words fly out from my mouth before I have a chance to stop them.

The memories from the arena earlier today make me shudder even more. I can play it like a movie inside my mind, second for second. I can remember everything that happens clearly. It doesn’t matter that I am home. I am still a prisoner inside my own mind. I can see the Island clearly and almost feel the breeze from the sea. Will I ever feel the salty water to my lips again?

A violent shaking brings me back to reality. Princess looks at me determinedly and I blink back to her confused.

“Kate, stay with us,” Princess orders me coldly. It sounds just like Mother’s voice. I like that voice. It doesn’t hold any fake feelings or empty promises.

“I wish I could,” I whisper. “I was gone for too long. I lost my sanity.”

“You didn’t lose it,” she says angrily. “It is still there!”

I made my Alpha angry. The shock makes me all pale. I bury my face in my hands and shake my head. What am I doing? Why am I saying these things that never left my mouth before?

“I don’t want you to worry,” I whisper. “I’m alright. I’m just not used to all this yet. There is a lot of violence in this pack. Princess, you scare me.”

Adam quickly shoves Princess to the side and she curses when she hits her head on the kitchen fan. She glares at my mate but he seems to think it’s funny.

“Is that better, Kate?” Adam asks me with a wide smile and I almost gape at him.

“Did you just shove my sister?”

Concern fills me and I walk up to touch where Princess hit her head. At least it worked as a distraction to sort out all weird feelings that took charge of me for a few minutes. I still wish he hadn’t pushed her. A dark feeling of anger curses through me and I glare at Adam to let him know that it’s not cool to shove other people.

“I’m okay,” she reassures me but I still feel a deep twist inside my stomach.

“I am not used to this kind of behaviour,” I admit. “My emotions will be a rollercoaster until the Wolf Spirits have rinsed my mind. Just don’t hit each other. I don’t feel comfortable with that yet.”