Chapter 17

"Picture time!" My mom said clapping her hands together. I felt so bad for Riley. He was taking this girl Jamie, and she hadn't even been in the house for more than ten minutes before mom started embarrassing him. Lucky for me, I didn't have a date.

"Oh you guys look so cute!" she said snapping pictures as they stood next to each other.

"Thanks Mrs. McAdams." Jamie said smiling at the camera.

"You're welcome sweetheart."

I rolled my eyes at how fake my mom was being. It was almost as bad as Rachael who was talking to Jamie more than Riley was.

"Jamie you look so perfect I want to be you so much." Rachael said and Jamie laughed. I groaned before leaving the room. I grabbed my clutch, my heels and slipped on a pair of slides before heading over to Stephen's. At least there I can be with people that won't ignore me.

"Ryan you look so pretty." Carrie, Stephen's mom, says as I walk into their house. Their living room is the front room and behind Carrie I could make out Stephen and Sammie sitting on the couch.

"Thank you." I say as I head over to the couch.

"Sammie that dress looks even more amazing in person." I say and she smiles.

"Thanks I can't believe you actually curled your hair it looks amazing." Sammie says and I laugh.

"Yeah and my nails were actually painted at a salon." I say and she laughs. Behind us there's a cough and I turn around.

"What about me?" Stephen says striking a terrible disco pose.

"Dashing as ever." I say laughing.

"Oh this is perfect. The three best friends taking a picture together!" Carrie says picking up her camera.

"Good thing we already took our couples picture." Sammie says from next to me as we all stand up to take the picture together. I laugh and smile glad they did already. That way I wouldn't have to be reminded yet again that I didn't have a date.

After the pictures were taking and we all chatted for a bit with Stephen's parents we decided to head over to the dance.

"Are you sure it's okay that you're driving me?" I ask not wanting to invade the couples space.

"Of course it's fine why would there be a problem?" Sammie asks and I shrug.

The ride is quiet on the way to the dance, the only noise coming from the radio playing softly. I double check to make sure I have my ticket, and sure enough I do. Finally something is going my way.

By the time we get to the school the parking lot was already half full. We all got out of the car and headed to the front of the school, showing the chaperones in the front out tickets.

The music was loud and the dance floor was packed.

You can set your stuff at our table the text message I get from Kyle says.

I look around and spot Kyle sitting at a table with two of the other guys from the football team.

"Guys we can put our stuff over there." I say pointing towards the table where Kyle is sitting. They both nod there heads before following me towards the table.

"Sup fellas. Looking spiffy." I say putting my jacket and clutch down as I take the seat next to Kyle.

"Hey I thought you were gonna show up to this in your football jersey just to mock it." Kyle says laughing. I jokingly gasp and put my hand on my chest.

"What would give you that idea?" I ask laughing as well. This nights gonna be fun.

Later on I had some how made my way to the dance floor, dancing with Kyle to a slow song.

"Why are we even dancing?" he asks and I shrug.

"Because no one else would dance with me." I say and he laughs.

"Oh I can think of someone that would dance with you right now." He says and I sigh.

"Not you."

"I know. I wasn't talking about myself." He says and my eyes widen.

"Well then who are you talking about maybe I'll dance with them instead." I say and Kyle tips his head to the left. My eyes follow the direction he pointed and then I see Jacob.

His eyes are following us as Kyle and I sway back and forth. He hasn't noticed I'm looking at him.

"Are you sure?" I ask Kyle and he nods.

"Definitely. Besides I'm only dancing with you to get him jealous." He says and I hit his shoulder.

"Well gee thanks." I say laughing and he smiles.

"No but seriously you should ask him to dance. He's too nervous to do it himself." Kyle says pulling away from me as the song ends.

"It should probably be during another slow song so other girls aren't all over him. Here I'll go request one for you." Kyle says walking away from me and towards the DJ booth. Great now I actually had to go through with this.

I walked over to the table with the refreshments and poured myself a cup of punch. After taking a sip I regretted it. It tasted like sweaty armpits. Not that I know what that tastes like.

As I walk over to the garbage can to throw my cup out, I'm taken back when I feel a wet substance hit my arms.

"What the f-"

"Oh sorry Ryan didn't see you there." Bree, captain of the cheer team, said holding a cup that use to be filled with punch, in her hand.

"It's just well, I think the color of the punch makes this terrible dress, look much more appealing." She says grabbing another cup from her minions hand and throwing it at me again.

"There much better." She says laughing, and the girls behind her join in laughing.

My arms were getting sticky and my dress had a giant stain on it. I couldn't take this any more.

"You know what Bree. I don't know what your problem is. You think you're the best person alive and truth be told I don't think anyone really likes you. Yeah I said it. Those bitches that follow you around? They don't "worship" you they're terrified of you. And I don't understand why you don't like me. I've never done anything wrong against you but maybe it's just your stuck up attitude that makes you think you're better than everyone else but I see right through you." I say and she glares at me.

"You're a bitch you know that." She sneers at me and I smile.

"Sweetie if I'm a bitch than you must be Satan." I say pushing passed her and her fake friends and out the doors. I run as fast as I can down the street, taking my heels off on the way.

"God I'm so stupid." I say out loud to myself feeling like hitting something. I stopped running when I saw an area of trees that looked like the park. How long had I been running?

I walked to the closest bench I could find and just let go. The anger I had felt just seconds ago, turned to tears. I looked down at my now ruined dress, with a giant stain of punch in the front. Great the first time I actually try and be a part of the school and this happens.

"Ryan?" I hear someone yell out of breath and I turn to see Jacob coming towards me.

"Wow you run fast." He says catching his breath and I laugh sniffling slightly. He sits down next to me and wipes the tears from my eyes.

"Don't cry." He says pulling me in for a hug and I try not to get his shirt wet but I fail.

"Why do they hate me so much?" I am say and he hugs me tighter.

"I don't know." Jacob says and I pull away from the hug and rest my head on his shoulder.

"You know I've always wanted to do this." He says turning towards me and I give me a confused looked.

"And what exactly is this?" I ask and he laughs before tilting my head up and connecting our lips.

Yeah this is much better than that stupid dance.