Chapter 12

"Fire!" Jacob and I instantly pull apart looking in the direction the scream was heard from. The sounds of the smoke detector are going off could be heard over the shouts of the people in the house. "Everyone get out of the house!" I hear someone shout over the loud sounds of teh scared people and the smoke detector. I turn back to find that Jacob is no longer behind me. In fact I'm the only one in the living room.

"C'mon Ryan let's go." I hear Riley call from the hallway and I follow after him out of the house. "The fire department was called and they told the guys what to do so everythings under control right now." Riley says and I nod looking around for Jacob. I turn to my left and across the lawn I can make out a figure that looks like Jacob. As I start to walk over to him someone grabs my arm.

"What?" I say shaking my arm from the persons grip. I turn my head to see Stephen with a worried look on his face.

"Ryan, I can't find Sammie." He says shaking with fear,

"What do you mean you can't find her? Weren't you with her the whole time?" I say and he slowly nods, then cocks his head and shaking it fieriously.

"She went to the bathroom and I stayed in the kitchen. When everyone was leaving I went to look for her but I was pushed out of the house and I saw everyone come out and I thought maybe she's out her but she's not she's really not." He says rubbing the sides of his face.

"Okay than we'll go look in the house and I'll have Riley double check out here and if he finds her he'll text me." I say and Stephen nods and walks towards the house. I walk over to Riley, explaining what he has to do and I follow Stephen to the door.

"Alright you check up stairs and I'll check down here." I say and Stephen nods heading towards the stairs. Now where could Sammie be?

"Ryan you came to help?" I hear from the kitchen. I walk in to see Kyle and Quinn attempting to use the fire extinguisher.

"What are you idiots doing?" I say grabbing the extinguisher from them. Unlike them, I easily work the nosal and put out the slightly bigger fire than before.

"Easy enough?" I ask and they nod before heading out of the kitchen and going outside. Now to find Sammie. I walk out of the kitchen and go into the living room, going in the direction of the back hallway. I talk the stairs down into the basement and check if Sam's down there for any reason. I search the place top to bottom with not such luck. I heard back up stairs when I hear a voice calling my name.

"Ryan! Ryan! I found her! Ryan!" I walk to the front of the house by the stairs and I see Stephen and Sammie standing there.

"God Sam where were you? You scared Stephen half to death." I say laughing and she shrugs.

"I got lost. This house is huge, I couldn't find the stairs." She says laughing and Stephen huffs.

"Well you did scare me." He says folding his arms and she giggles.

"Aw poor baby." She says kissing his cheek and he pouts pointing towards his lips. She giggles again and leans in to kiss him.

"PDA!" I shout running towards the door, flinging the door open and cover my eyes.

"What happened?" Kyle says taking my hands from my eyes.

"Personal display of affection. In your house. My two best friends. It's disgusting." I say hiding my head in his shoulder and Kyle laughs.

"Ryan calm down. It's gonna get worse." He says rubbing my back and I groan even more. "Did I make it worse?"

"A little." I say and he laughs.

"Now get off of me." Kyle says pushing my shoulder and I huff.

"Fine I'll find someone that cares." I say and I hear Kyle mumble something but I can't quite make it out.

"What was that?" I say and he shakes his head,

"Oh nothing." He says turning to the crowd of people on his lawn. "Alright everyone because of that little incident and I've had two of my neighbors threaten to call the police about the music and people on the front lawn, I'm sorry to say I'm sending you all home." He shouts and a few people groan. "Sorry guys but I really can't get arrested and have that go on my record."

"Can you stay and help pick up the cups and stuff?" Kyle says and I nod. Kyle gets Riley to stay and we all head back into the house. The rest of the football team finds its way into the house one way or another and we beginning picking up the cups and garbage left behind. Out of the corner of my eye I constantly watched Jacob wondering if he'd come over to me and say something about before. But eventually the house looked how it did before everyone had gotten here except all the cans were no longer on the counter and were in trash bags instead, and Jacob hadn't said anything to me.

"Thanks guys I owe you." Kyle says as everyone left his house to head home. It was slightly before 1, so Riley, Stephen, Sammie and I walked down the block to the car.

"So do anything interesting?" Riley says cutting the silence we had kept for the a few houses.

I see Sam and Stephen look at each other. They shake their heads and Sammie says "Nope." The three turn to me and I stare back.

"Anything fun happen Ryan?" Sammie said raising her eyebrow and I shrug.

"Not really." I say and Riley gasps.

"Nothing interesting happened at your first real party. Oh come on there had to be something interesting besides the fire." He says and I think yeah me and Jacob almost kissed but our stupid friend can't cook or do whatever he was doing and ruined our moment, but I can't risk and tell Riley that. He'll tell Jacob and Jacob will think I'm weird. Because what if he wasn't really trying to kiss me. What if I misunderstood it? I shake my head and look at the ground.

"Nothing happened." I say and that ends the conversation. We walk in silence to the car and when we get in it's a silent drive. We park the car in front of our house and we all get out. Stephen heads next door, but not before kissing Sammie good night.

The three of us head into our house quietly not wanting to wake our mom up. Sammie and I go into my room and change into sweats and tshirts to sleep in. As we get ready to sleep Sam says the first thing anyone's said since we got here.

"Are you sure nothing happened? I saw you and Jacob hugging or something must have happened." She says and I shake my head. "You sure? You know you can trust me with anything right?" She says and I nod my head before resting my head on my pillow.

"We danced together. Like he requested a slow song and we danced and..." I trail off and Sammie nods.

"And what?" She says and I sigh.

"We may have almost kissed but I don't know if I'm taking it the wrong way." I say and she gasps.

"What seriously?!" She almost shouts and I shush her and put my hand over her mouth.

"Be quite." I say taking my hand off her mouth.

"Oh Ryan this is great! What if he asks you to junior prom?!" She says and I laugh shaking my head and she glares at me.

"That's doubtful. He probably already asked someone." I say and she shakes her head.

"I know for a fact he hasn't." She says and I shrug.

"That doesn't matter," I say. "He's still not gonna ask me."

She sighs before resting her head on her pillow and I do the same.

What a great night. I think to myself and I laugh. Yeah so great that nothing good happened at all it just seems like it to an outsider.