Chapter 2

"MOM!" I walk into the house hearing screams coming from upstairs.

"What?" I hear from what sounds like the kitchen. Probably Rachael complaining about something again.
I head into the kitchen and see my mom making dinner. I throw my bags on the floor and take a seat at the table eating one of the pieces off the table. My mom glares at me.

"Wash your hands. And stop plopping your stuff everywhere. We have a storage room for a reason you know." She says returning to chopping up some tomatoes for the salad.

"Yeah yeah yeah." I say grabbing a water bottle from the fridge before picking up my bag and heading to the storage room. Before opening the door I hold my breathe and throw the bag inside quickly closing the door. When you have two athletic older brothers you learn to hold your breathe for long periods of time.

"He fakes right, he fakes left he shoots..." I feel a ball quickly sail over my head and turn to see it land straight in the basket clipped to the door.

"He scores and the crowd goes wild ahhh ahhh..." Riley looks at me as I laugh.

"Come on Ryan. Cheer." He says and I sigh.

"Aahhhh ahhhh oohhhh ahhh." I say waving my hands in the air as I head back to the kitchen.

Dinners how it usually is. Mom makes some type of meat that we all devour (hamburgers) with a side of like corn because it's "healthy" and then there's a salad for her and Rachael to eat because Rachael's a vegetarian and "eating animals is harming animals" and all that crap. I have nothing against vegetarians but when you're pretending to be one and sneaking pieces of bacon every other day, you're being ridiculous. She's just doing it because every other plastic girl in the school does it. And that's exactly what she's trying to become. A real life Barbie doll.

"And Stephen actually got to play today mom. After being on the team for two years they finally let him play and he scored a touchdown." I said as I shoved my fork in my mouth filled with salad.

"That's great for Stephen. I hope he gets to play more." My mom says and I smile.

"Me too." I say. After dinner I started doing homework and I'm telling you do not take calculus it's going to kill me. I shower and 5 before 10 I head downstairs and make a bowl of popcorn.

*mm mm*

I hear my phone vibrate on the counter and I open my phone.

It's about to start.

It's from Stephen. See he got me obsessed with this zombie apocalyptic show and we watch the new episode every week together. Well technically not together we aren't in the same room. He's a house over watching it in his living room.

I'm ready just getting popcorn

I type back and and I hear the microwave ding. I quickly grab a bowl not breaking it this time and pour the popcorn into the bowl before dashing off into the living room.

Alright it's on shhhhh

Stephen types back and I laugh.
This weeks episode consisted of the two main characters, a couple, and their three friends searching for a safe house to get away from the zombies. They've already lost four of their original group to the zombies and now they're being extra protective.
And then there's the kissing scene. This couple is adorable and they are in the middle of an apocalypse and they basically have the perfect relationship and this makes me so sad. I can't even get a relationship when nothing terrible is happening but they can it's not fair.

Stop being so pouty and sad about Jacob and just watch the show.

That's the text message I get from Stephen. And this is why he's my best friend he always knows what's happening.

"Hey Ryan watcha watching?" I turn away from the tv and look towards the kitchen and see Rachael sitting at the counter.

"Um Am I Dead Yet?" I ask trying to pay attention to the tv show.

"Ew." She says sitting down on the coach next to me.

"Okay, then why are you sitting here watching it with me?" I ask and she shrugs.

"I don't know. Riley's being annoying and keeps shooting paper balls into me garbage can."She says

On the tv the characters are shooting at the zombies blood spilling everywhere. I laugh but Rachael screams.

"Ew ew ew get that off the screen stop it!" She yells before getting up and running towards the stairs.

Rachael just dissed the show

I text Stephen and in almost an instance he answers.

WHAT? HOW!

She screamed at the zombies.

But the zombies are the best part!

He types back and I laugh.

Exactly!!!

I type back and return to the show.

Zombies are the best

Stephen sends back a few seconds after one was chop straight down the middle with a chain saw.

This is why this kid is my best friend.