Chapter 15

"The junior prom is next week you need to get a dress." My mom said to me the following weekend as we drove with Rachael in the car to the nearest shop.

"I know." I say rolling my eyes tapping on a picture of Sammies dress. It was a short dress and looked nice on her. The mixture of the pink and silver of the dress looked nice with her skin tone.

Gorgeous I texted back.

"Yeah and maybe guys will actually think you're pretty if they see you in a dress." Rachael says looking up from the her phone in the back seat.

"Rachael!" My mom said and she shrugged.

"I'm not wrong." Rachael says tapping away at her phone.

"Thanks Rach." I mumble as the car pulls into the parking lot of a dress shop.

"Isn't this gonna be fun?!" My mom says clapping her hands and I roll my eyes again.

"Just dandy." I say walking in behind her already feeling tortured...

An hour and 14 dresses later, I groaned as I watched my mom pick up three more dresses to try on.

"Mom I don't even like those." I say scrunching my face up.

"But what if you do when you try them on?" She asks and puts the dresses in my arms. "Now go." I groan and head back into the changing room. The first one was covered in pink sequinces and it looked like Barbie threw up on it. The second one was an ugly green and looked like something they would use in the '80s as a rug. The third dress... I can't even explain it without throwing up. My mom knows I hate baby pink, and would never wear it why would she give me a dress that looks like this? I decide not to try any of the dresses on and head out of the dressing room to put them on a rack inside of the whole dressing area.

As I hung the dresses up my eyes fell to a dress that I hadn't seen out there. It was dark blue and it shimmered almost as if it had sequinces on it, but it didn't. I picked it up off the rack hoping no one would mind and I head back into the changing room. As I slipped on the dress I noticed that it was a high-low dress and the waist band sat perfectly on my waist. Some how the size had been just perfect.

"Mom I think this is the dress." I say and I hear my mom squeal.

"Oh! Let me see!" She says and I open the door.

"I didn't pick that one out." She says looking me up and down.

"Yeah but it's pretty isn't it?" I ask hoping she likes it.

"Well if you like it-"

"I do." I butt in.

"Then I guess we'll get it." She says sighing and I clap my hands.

"Perfect and I know just what shoes to wear!" I say finally feeling excited for this dance.

"Wow you look really pretty." Rachael says walking in putting down the dresses in her arms.

"That's the best one so far." she says smiling. "I think you should get it."

"I am." I say smiling and my mom just sighs.

"Alright get changed and we'll pay." She says and I nod and close the door. My mom doesn't seem very happy that I'm getting this dress. It's probably because I'm not covered in glitter and wearing "pretty" pink dresses like she hoped.

But hey I'm in a dress that should count for something right?