Chapter 16

The following week leading up to junior prom was quite annoying. Everyone kept asking me if I had a date just so they could brag about whoever they were bringing and the only person I wanted to ask me if I had a date wasn't talking to me unless it was to call plays. On Tuesday we had won our game but barely, only by three points. And by Thursday of that week I had had enough.

"That's great Lisa but I have to get to class." As I tried to yet again get out of the conversation Lisa was trying to have with me.

"Don't you have lunch now?" She asked and I gulpped. Of course she knew when I had lunch.

"Um..."

"Great we can walk together." Why did we have to have the same lunch period?

"So as I was saying I wanted to get a sky blue dress with this fringe on the bottom but Chad, my date," who she had mentioned like seven times because apparently he didn't go to our school because he was in college, yeah right. "Well Chad wanted to wear this black tie so he said I should get a black dress and then I found this dress that was the blue I wanted and the black he wanted. Isn't that great!" She says as I pull open the door to the cafeteria.

"Well I'm gonna eat..." I say heading over to the table of football players because Sammie sat with us now whenever she had lunch with us.

"Okay see you around Ryan." She says before heading over to her group of friends. God how do they tolerate her?

"Stuck with Lisa again I see." Sammie says as I take a seat and put my back pack on the floor next to me.

"Don't even get me started." I say sighing and she laughs.

"So Ryan has anyone asked you to the dance yet?" Kyle asked, just like he had the day before and the day before that.

"Nope." I say answering the same way I had the day before and the day before that.

"But you're still going right?" He ask and I nod, taking a bite of my sandwich.

"Do you wanna go with me? You know as friends?" I ask Kyle. I see his eyes widen and I watch his gaze go to the end of the table then quickly shift back to me.

"Oh um I don't think I can do that." Kyle says shaking his head.

"And why is that?"

"Well you see I have this friend that um said some stuff and yeah."

"What kind of stuff?" I ask. What is Kyle talking about?

"Just stuff." He said shrugging his shoulders.

"Well then you can go with me." I say and he stares at me like I have three heads.

"I told you I can't do that or else." He makes the gesture of slicing his head off.

"Okay than if you won't go with me..." I look around the table. "Does anyone wanna go to junior prom with me. Like you know as friends?" I ask and everyone stares back at me.

A murmur of 'I have a date' and 'um I'm not going' was said around the table but the whole time I watched as Jacob said nothing. He just stared down, playing with the french fries in front of him.

"Fine. Than I guess I'm going by myself Kyle." I say and again he glares down at the other side of the table.

"That sucks." He says and I nod.

"Yeah." Especially when the guy you want to take you won't even look in your direction.