Chapter 3: Galdin Quay

It was the middle of the afternoon and crew made it to the motel that Cindy had described. Parking the Regalia in front of the gas pump, they get out.

Y/N was stretching as he hadn't gotten a proper rest since they slept at the camp. Reaching and touching his toes, the others went about their own thing. As always, Prompto went with Noctis to hand over the package to the motel owner. Ignis went to the local stand selling all kinds of ingredients across the street and Gladiolus was checking on the equipment of the group.

Gladiolus: Everything's here.

Y/N: Damn. Sitting in that car felt real tiring.

Gladiolus: Yeah. My legs are asleep.

Y/N: Think everything is all right back at the Crown City?

Gladiolus: Are you doubting the security of the Crownsguard?

Y/N: No. It's just...something feels off about the Niflheim Empire. We've been at war with them for years and suddenly, they halt their attacks and they then ask for a peace treaty signing.

Gladiolus: Now that you think about it, it does sound a bit suspicious.

Y/N: (sigh) I think I'm just tired. Probably thinking on it too much.

Gladiolus: It's not a bad thing to think about everyone back at home. Besides, I'm sure they're fine.

Y/N: Right.

He was uncertain though. Y/N thought it was odd for the Niflheim Empire to do that. But, Y/N was a Crownsguard member and the Sword of the King, so he was duty bound to stay by Noctis's side. And he was fine with that.

After awhile, a black dog with a green sash came up to Noctis.

Noctis: Hmm? Umbra.

Umbra was one of Lunafreya's dogs that she had. Umbra was a messenger of sorts. Lunafreya and Noctis would send Umbra back and forth to each other. Umbra would have a diary and they would use it to communicate with each other, sending a message back each time.

Prompto: Bringin' us stuff, atta boy!

Gladiolus: That dog can really track a scent.

Y/N: And this proves that dogs are the best pet.

Ignis: Certainly "nose" how to find us.

Y/N: (chuckles slightly) Hah. That was pretty funny.

Prompto: How do you always know, boy?

Noctis: Just a sec.

Noctis then grabs the diary off Umbra's back. Holding it, he remembers twelve years ago.

Flashback, Noctis's Memories

And eight-year old Noctis and Lunafreya were sitting in Lunafreya's room. The two were in Lunafreya's home at the time. Tenebrae. Umbra and the other dog, Pryna, were laying against each other.

Noctis was given a diary from Lunafreya, or Luna is what he calls her.

Noctis: (opens book) Nice flower.

Lunafreya: It's the same kind we sewed our crowns from.

Noctis: Oh yeah, "sylleblossoms."

Lunafreya: ...So.

Noctis: Hmm?

Lunafreya: I have a favor to ask. Take the notebook with you when you go.

Noctis: (closes book) Sure.

Lunafreya: That's not all. I want you to put something in the book and send it back.