TEN

|10| SECOND CHALLENGE: THE BLACK LAKE

___

DRACO WALKED OVER TO THE EDGE OF THE LAKE WHERE HE LOOKED AROUND AS RHE CROWD BEGAN TO CHEER. It was game day and everyone was excited. Aurora stood between Cedric and Harry as the game maker began to give them the instructions.

He as always stood front row, trying to see and make sure she was okay.

"At the bottom of the lake, you will retrieve something you lost. You will have a limited time and will be allowed your wands."

Aurora had tried to ask Dumbledore to let her reveal her wand and her place as the white wand wielder, but he had suggested otherwise. She didn't think it would matter anymore considering the Dark Lord knew after sending Draco to retrieve it.

He still hadn't told her about his time at Malfoy Manor making her worry.

Cedric looked over at Aurora, "Good luck." He said as he priced her cheek, the crowd going crazy. "You too Diggory." She replied and glanced over at Harry.

"I'll see you at the bottom." Harry said as the signal went off. Aurora was the first to dive in, swimming down to down wards.

Draco watched anxiously from the side, not sure what to expect from this particular challenge. All he had was a bad feeling in his gut. He glanced over and saw Mad Eye act a little odd as he lurked around the area.

Aurora swam as fast as she could under water, her eyes focusing on what was in front of her as she navigated through the forest of weeds. The mask had been doing a good job in keeping her alive, and she was hoping it would stay like that.

Her eyes widdened in amazement as the guards, also known as mermaids, swam around. She never even thought about those creatures being real. As she swam closer, she noticed four figures floating with their faces changed.

Her eyes widened, Henry?! Her heart raced as tears began to sting her eyes before she swam over. Immediately a couple of mermaids stood in her way. Aurora back away angrily, unsure as to why they were interfering.

Cedric swam over to her and pointed at his wrist. Aurora shook her head and pointed at the mermaids who flared their fangs at her. She narrowed her eyes and pushed him away as she looked into his eyes.

Go, she told him.

Cedric hesitated before swimming away as Harry did the same with Ron. Aurora grabbed her wand and clenched her jaw before charging over to them. They immediately began to protect the figure as Aurora began to cry.

I'm coming Henry.

Aurora winced in pain as they began to scratch her, causing large gashes on her skin. The brunette reached for the white wand and blasted them out of her way. In the process one of them had damaged the mask and she now had limited air.

Aurora swam over to the body and as she reached out to grab his arm before feeling herself get lightheaded. Just a little further up, she thought as her heart ached and just tightened, she tried to force herself into thinking she didn't need air which failed miserably.

As she reached the surface the people cheered as she gasped for the fresh air. Her eyes red from crying and having them open as Harry and Cedric leaped in to help her.

Draco's eyes widened as he rushed over to the edge and helped her up. "Aurora-" He said as he snatched a towel from someone and wrapped it around her shivering body. She winced at the contact of the fabric to her open skin.

Dumbledore's eyes widened as he saw the body Harry and Cedric pulled up. As soon as they reached the surface, the people used for the games were supposed to breathe.

But he didn't.

Cedric and Harry set him down and gasped when they saw it was a corpse. A decomposing corpse. The two immediately backed away.

"Where's Henry?" Aurora mumbled as Draco held her close, his own eyes wide as he looked down at the body. He had never seen a corpse, not once. The mere sight of it would surely leave him with nightmares.

Dumbledore shook his head, "Get everyone out-go back to your houses!"

Nobody moved.

"Henry." Aurora pushed Draco away and rushed over to the body. "I did it. I didn't fail you I saved you!" She hysterically said, her eyes getting watery again. Draco followed her.

"Aurora." Hermione said worriedly as Ron, also was also soaking wet held her. The two watched the scene carefully, nobody daring to break the news.

As Aurora leaned down and sat on her bloody and gashed legs, a gasp escaped her lips. "No no no! I did it! I saved you! I saved you no!" She screamed, Dumbledore stepped closer.

"Miss Lexington-I urge you to calm down-" and tried to reach for her shoulder before she stood up while grabbing the white wand. Everyone gasped and backed away, including Draco.

The students began to whispered and murder about the wand, connecting the dots as to why she was holding. "She's the chosen one?" Pansy asked in a hushed tone as the others around her frowned: she happened to be standing next to the Hufflepuffs who disapproved of her tones. Pansy scowled at them.

"No don't! Don't come any closer." She cried, "Who did this? Who did this to me?!" She asked loudly.

Cedric stepped closer, "Aurora who is that?"

Aurora didn't respond as she looked around, "Did you do it?! Did you bring him here because I'll kill you! I'll
fucking kill you!" She yelled in pure sadness and anger as the person in charge of the games backed away.

"It wasn't m-me-I don't know what you're talking about or who that even is." He argued while Draco took a step forward.

"Aurora, put down the wand." He said slowly.

"Get out of the way," she said quietly, "Get out of my way I need to know who did this."

The younger students began to cry and looked away because of how she looked. At this point her entire body was covered in blood and the cash on her forehead spewed blood all over her face.

To anyone else, it looked like a scene of murder.

Dumbledore stepped forward, "Aurora, put the white wand...down." He said sternly .

"Not until I know who did this? Who brought him here?!" She asked loudly, "Someone better speak up or so Merlin help me-"

"Ms. Lexington, I am urging you to put the wand down. I know you don't want to hurt anyone and you could do so. Put it down and we can talk about it-figure out the problem." Dumbledore tried as she shook her head.

"I just want to know who did this." She said much more quietly, "Why would someone do this to me?" Her voice sounded broken, making Draco's face softened as she made eye contact with him and put down the wand.

"Why would you do this to me?" She asked to no one in particular as she made the wand disappear. Draco rushed over and held her, glaring at everyone else as he moved away.

Cedric looked at the others, "Who was that?" He asked, a little traumatized. He wasn't aware of Aurora loosing someone as important as whoever that was. In fact, they didn't really talk about her past at all.

Dumbledore felt his heart sink to the pit of his stomach, "Her brother. Henry Lexington."