Chapter 46.

John angrily turned off the radio when Paint it Black began playing.

"Ye gotta admit, they can carry a tune." Richard shrugged. We all just glared at him as he looked away nervously.

"Your mate's right. They're not bad." Eric added. Paul sighed.

"That should be us. We can't even get a proper gig. What the fuckin hell is wrong with this generation?"

"Don't worry Paul. Our time will come. We still got the gig in March." John flicked his ciggy out the window. Olivia just looked out at the empty fields.

"Yeah a gig for school freaks and parents. Not much of an audience is it?" Paul added.

"Atleast it's somethin." I yawned.

We arrived at a small club near Grove. There were already cars and people lined up. We met up front with Richard's mate. Keith.

"Aye! Ye made it!" He smiled, pulling Rich into a tight hug. We were led backstage and I remembered our first trip down here. I lost my virginity. I didn't want to start anythin so I didn't mention this to Olivia.

All the blokes seemed to be taking a shining to her, my guard was up.

John and Paul ran off to get drinks and meet up with the other band members backstage. Me and Olivia were in charge of getting a table. Lots of people our age, a bit older, even adults showed. A big poster showing who was lined up tonight.

"Nice turn out." Olivia smiled. I nodded.

"Yeah. If only these blokes would stop looking at you, I'd start 'aving a good time." I mumbled.

"Oh come on baby it's not that bad." She kissed my cheek.

"Drinks on the young gentlemen across the room there." A waitress came over and pointed to a guy. I bit my lip, making Olivia giggle.

..

The band was great. Their set list was perfect, the energy, the cheers, the whole fuckin show. Richard was proud of his mate, going backstage with him after the two hour gig.

Paul and John came back to our table, chatting up some girls they met at the bar earlier. Olivia off in the loo while me and Eric sat awkwardly waiting.

"Aye look." Eric pointed to a blonde bird across the room. She looked over at us shyly and blushed when she saw Eric point.

"What about her?" I asked.

"She's been givin ye the eyes all night." He teased. I swallowed and looked back at her.

"And? I already 'ave a girl."

"You're not married." He nudged me. "Just go say hi."

I made a face. "No. Then she'll think I'm tryin to get with her."

"Come on mate. You're only young once. Go on. She's a fine lookin bird."

I looked at the restroom door. Still no Olivia. I shrugged. "I suppose. Only if you'll stop bugging me."

He smiled. "There ye go."

I downed the rest of my beer and walked over to the blonde. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Hello." She giggled. I pointed to the seat next to her. She nodded and watched me sit.

"My friend noticed ye looking our way the entire night."

"I was. To be honest, I think you're pretty cute." She blushed again. I blushed as well.

"Do you now? Look em, I actually 'ave..."

"D'you want to go out? I mean, out for a quick ciggy. Maybe we can talk...privatly." she shrugged. I just nodded and felt my body tingle when she grabbed my hand. We made our way outside in the alley. She handed me a cigarette and watched me light both of ours.

"Thanks. I never caught your name." She smiled. I cleared my throat.

"Oh yeah em....George."

"Pattie."

"Pattie. That's a pretty name."

She blushed. "Thank you George. So, what brings you here? I've never seen you before so I know you don't go to Grove."

"Oh I um, actually came over with a few of me mates. Just came for the gig." I added the last part so she wouldn't get any ideas. She didn't get the hint.

"What about that girl at your table? She a friend?"

I blinked. I dunno why I lied. Something in my gut was telling me I was about to make a massive mistake. Something I may not be able to undo right away. But I did it anyways. Her blonde hair brought out her beautiful eyes. She was much different than Olivia.

"Yes....just a friend." I said, digging my hands into my pockets.

I spent the rest of the night, chatting with Pattie outside, forgetting about the others. She was a breath of fresh air compared to my usual life.

It wasn't until we exchanged numbers, made our way back inside, I felt guilty for leaving Olivia alone. She was outside in the van, looking upset and having a cigarette with Eric. I felt a pain of jealousy surge through me when he kissed her cheek.

"There you are." She said softly.

"I was um..."

"Eric told me. I hope you had a nice time." She gave a weak smile and made her way up front with Richard. I was about to speak when John shouted.

"Aye George come on! If we wanna get back before midnight, we better get to it son!"

I nodded and got in the back with Eric, looking at the small piece of paper with Pattie's number.

.............