Chapter 5.

I walked into the building to find a huge crowd of people watching the band on stage. Smoke filling the air as I walked through the crowd. I coughed a little and noticed a familiar face.

"Heya." I smiled tapping him on the shoulder.

"Ye made it! Good to see ye mate! Look i'm sorry I completely forgot to tell you where to meet me."

"No it's fine." I shrugged.

"Main thing is, you're 'ere." He grinned. "Can I get ye a drink?"

"Um yeah. Sure." I said trying to sound cool. He nodded and got up, walking to the bar area. I sat at the table he was sitting and looked around.

It was full of blokes and lots of birds in front of the stage. I turned to Richard as he came back with two beers. I never drank once in my life. I've been trying new things lately, why can't this be added to the list?

I took a long drink and made a face, tasting the alcohol run down my throat. Richard noticed and laughed.

"It's better the second time around. I promise."

I nodded and watched as another bloke came by and sat down. He took a drink of his beer and looked at me.

"Who's the kid?" He asked.

"Oh this is George. The one I was tellin ye and John about." Richard said nodding to me.

"Oooh yeah. You're right, he is tiny." He laughed and shook his head. I just looked at him.

"George, this is Paul. Paul, George."

"Nice to meet ye mate." Paul extended his hand out to me. I shook it and looked him over.

He was a bit taller than me and Richard, but not too tall himself. He had perfect combed hair the hung just above his eyes, wore a fitting blue t-shirt and black jeans. He looked like a posh bloke with nice eyebrows. A lot cleaner cut than myself and Richard.

"So ye play guitar. Rich told me." He held a cigarette to his lips and lit it, taking a long drag.

"Yeah um, I 'ave about four guitars at home."

"Ye can 'ave all the guitars in the world mate. But can ye play?"

I shrugged. "I like to think so."

He nodded and smiled. "That's better. Look kid, if ye wanna make it as a musician, ye gotta be confident. I know it can be scary but it's somethin you gotta do."

"What do ye gotta do?"

I looked up to see another bloke, zipping up his pants and taking the cigarette out of Paul's hand, inhaling then exhaling,

I watched as he sat next to Paul and scratched the back of his head.

His hair was almost as messy as Richards, about the same length as Paul's. He smelled like cannibas and tobacco. If that was possible. He looked like one of those blokes ye can't mess with. His tall frame making him look even more dangerous. Band shirt, torn jeans, cold hard stare that could make anyone nervous.

I swallowed as Paul spoke up. "I was just tellin this lad 'ere about bein confident if he wants to make it as a musician."

"Ah yeah. It's in the rule book.. um who are ye?"

"I'm George." I extended my hand out to him. He shook it.

"John. Aye Rich, this the lad ye talkin about earlier?"

"Yeah. Quite the chap yeah?"

"I'd say so. A wee thing he is. Ye get in 'ere alright?" John asked, blowing smoke into the air. I nodded.

"Yeah. Just fine."

He nodded. "Back to what we were sayin. Look mate, if ye wanna make it as a musician, ye gotta know a few things."

"'Ere we go." Richard said rolling his eyes and taking a drink from his beer. John made him a face and went on.

"First, ye gotta 'ave confidence. Can't let the crowd or those pricks who talk ye down, get to ye. Second, ye gotta make sure the music ye put out there is good enough. If ye 'ave to second guess a song or you're just not feelin it, throw it out the window. No good mate. Third, and this is crucial, especially for a Rock 'N Roll musician.."

"Go on." I said eagerly. He smiled at how intrigued I was as I scooted up closer.

"Don't let birds get in the way of your music. If ye 'ave to choose, and ye choose the bird...you're fuckin finished. Ye choose music well, you've chosen a future."

"A bit presumptuous with that last part ye?" Paul asked. John shook his head.

"It's the truth. It sounds like a dick move to say but, it's the fuckin truth."

I smiled and nodded. "Anythin else?"

"Well, Enjoy the ride. That's all ye can do. I mean come on, ye get to play, girls throwin themselves at ye after every gig, free stuff...it's a fuckin paradise man."

I nodded and made a memory note of everything he said. Paul and Richard were talking, not paying attention as the music stopped. John smiled at me.

"So how good are ye as a guitarist?"

"I'm alright I guess. I mean I can't play like Hendrix."

He took another drag from his cigarette and nodded. "That's understandable. Look ye go to Donovan right? Me and Paul also go. Maybe tomorrow, we can ditch lunch and go off to Paul's so we can hear ye play."

I was a little nervous. I never ditched classes before. My parents would castrate me if they found out I was already skipping school barely on my second day. But these lads seemed friendly and the type of blokes I can get on with. I nodded.

"Yeah. Sounds great."

"Yeah? Good." He smiled and patted my shoulder. "Now, watch this."

I sat back in my seat as the guys on stage came around over to us.

"So, ye come to watch us play huh?" The guitarist said to John smugly.

"Ye make me laugh Keith. Actually we were just 'ere to see what a joke you all are. I um, actually had a fun time with your girl last night Mick. Might wanna keep that bitch on a leash next time huh?"

I watched as a fight broke out instantly between John and the singer as Paul and Keith held them back. I stood up quickly, standing next to Richard as he laughed.

"Fuckin hell. Time to go." Richard said grabbing my arm and dragging me outside.

We got into a vehicle as we waited until Paul and John came out laughing.

"Fuckin wankers! Come fuckin fight like a real bloke you pussied cunts!" John yelled.

They got into the back seat still laughing as Richard started the car. Suddenly a group of guys came running out with wrenches and bottles, chucking them at us.

"Drive!" John yelled as we sped off down the dark road. I ran my fingers through my hair and felt my heart racing.

They all laughed as I laughed nervously, feeling my adrenaline at a new level of high.

"Fucking hell that was...amazing." I said shaking my head.

"Yeah well, welcome to our world." John smiled lighting another cigarette.

....