Chapter 8.

"Fucking hell what are ye parents rich??" John asked as we walked upstairs to my room. I looked around confused.

"This is a shithole. Why? Where do you live?" I asked opening my door. John shook his head.

"Nowhere." He said quickly. I noticed him and Paul glance at each other and look away. I just brushed it off and sat on my bed.

"So, this is it." I said.

Richard smiled, looking at the posters pinned up, picking up the latest issue of Rolling Stone.

"Alright so I was thinkin, we'd share a couple of our songs and see which ones will work yeah?" John said sitting on the shag carpeted floor with Paul.

"Sounds good." Paul nodded.

..

As me, John and Paul shared a few notes of lyrics and songs, Richard laid on my bed, smoking a joint and reading. I'd have to rid the smell later.

"If we wanna get this band thing goin, we gotta step up from whatever those bloody wankers are playin." John said.

"But they're so good!" Paul whined.

"We got some great tunes put 'ere." I said looking at the notes in front of us. "Let's practice yeah?"

I walked over to my closet and pulled out my guitars.

"I um, don't 'ave a bass."

"It's fine, we can do without." Paul said strumming one of the guitars.

It felt nice to have friends over. I mean real friends beside cousins and siblings. John chewing gum and strumming as me and Paul joined in.

"There's this one tune I um, wrote that I think is pretty good. I mean it's alright." Paul shrugged.

"Out 'ave it macca." John yelled. Paul made him a face and strummed nervously.

"It's a bit slow. If ye all don't mind."

"It's alright. Go on." I urged. He strummed again and cleared his throat nervously. He opened his mouth to sing then shook his head.

"I can't" He set the guitar down and stood up, walking to the open window. John sighed and got up, following him. I sat alone, watching them talk and whisper. Paul nodded a few times as John patted his shoulder. They came back.

"I'm sorry I...I guess I was just nervous."

I smiled, "It's alright Paul. It's just us." I said.

He grabbed the guitar and strummed again, more confidently this time. We watched as he began to sing.

"Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away

Now it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh, I believe in yesterday

Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be

There's a shadow hanging over me.

Oh, yesterday came suddenly

Why she had to go I don't know she wouldn't say

I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday"

He stopped and looked at us. "That's all I got for now."

"That was great Paul!" I beamed, watching him. He gave me a small smile and looked away. John gave him a sympathetic smile.

"I think I better be off then. I've got to do some house work with me dad. I'll see ye tomorrow okay?" Paul said standing up. He walked out the door as John told me to wait and ran out after Paul. I was a bit confused, was he that nervous? It was a great song I had to say.

"Poor lad. Come on you two, let's get a drink at the pub yeah?" John said walking back inside, grabbing his coat.

"What's wrong with Paul?" I asked. John sighed.

"That song he...he wrote it for his mum. She died last year."

"Oh my god i'm so sorry I didn't know.." I said feeling like a jackass for encourging Paul to play the song.

"No it's alright. We all grieve in our own way yeah? Plus, this is the first time he's opened up about it since the funeral."

I nodded and Richard walked past us, to the door. John patted my arm.

"Come on. We all can use a drink." He smiled.

....