Chapter 44.

Dad met Richard downstairs shortly while I gouged my eyes out in my room. I set my school bag down and fixed my hair, taking a breath before walking out. And to make things worse, mum walks out like nothing happened.

"Oh um...George." she blinked. I nodded.

"Mum."

It was awkward while we just stood. I bit my lip and looked away.

"So erm....I should go and..."

"Meet your father and friend downstairs..."

"Yeah." I nodded. She returned the favor and made her way into the restroom. I rolled my eyes and ran downstairs.

..

Dad spent most of the evening outside in the garage with Richard, fixing the engine while Olivia came by and watched telly with me in the living room.

"Oh George, I invited that Eric fellow from across the street for dinner." Mum yelled from the kitchen. I spit out my soda and set the glass down.

"Why would ye go on doin a crazy thing like that!?" I yelled back.

"I thought it'd be nice! Plus, I work with his mother. She thinks you two would get on."

I sighed. "Yeah. Right."

Olivia crawled off the floor, onto the sofa and into me arms. "Shhh be nice Georgie."

"I'll try. You stayin for dinner?"

"If you want." She smiled. "What about Richard?"

"Knowin mum, she'll invite him to stay. Not that I'm complaining. The more of me mates here the better."

"Do you consider me one of your mates?" She giggled.

I smiled and held her hand. "Well, you're more than just a girlfriend. If ye can't be mates with your significant other, what can ye be then?"

She blushed. "Aw George."

I held her close as we kissed.

..

It wasn't long until dinner was ready and Eric came over. He got on with Olivia just fine. A little too fine. I was suspicious. Richard was too busy eating and chatting with mum to save me. Dad was avoiding me and Olivia was ignoring me. I practically sat in silence eating a piece of bread and trying to excuse myself.

"George, we have a guest. It's not polite." Mum said handing me the bowl of salad. I passed it along to Richard.

"So Eric, your mum tells me you're going to start at Donovan next week." Mum smiled. I sighed.

"Yes em....I've been looking around and, I think I found a match." He smiled.

"Georgie here and his friends have a band going on. They insist it's more than a hobby." She shrugged.

"Oh yeah? What do ye play?" Eric asked me, finally taking notice of my existence.

"Oh em, Guitar. I'm the lead guitarist." I said now picking at a piece of lettuce.

"Me too! Although I'm not in a band at the moment. I do play though."

"That's lovely. Look I'm not feeling too good. I think I should go upstairs." I said standing up. Everyone just looked up at me as I tossed my napkin on the table and left the room.

..

I must have stayed upstairs for half an hour before I got a knock. I stared at my magazine.

"I'm at peace. Get out." I muttered.

"George? It's Eric."

I rolled my eyes. "Come in I guess."

I didn't move as he walked in, closing the door. He sat on a chair and began.

"Look um...If I did anything wrong, please tell me yeah?"

I sat up and looked at him. "Why are ye all over my girl? I mean first you move across the street, meet my girlfriend, then ye come into my home, score points with me parents, then you try to charm my girlfriend right at the dinner table!"

He blinked. "I'm sorry if I seemed a bit forward I...I don't really get out much and I don't even 'ave any friends. I'm sorry if I came on too strong....is that this months issue??" He pointed at my magazine. I nodded.

"You read this?"

"Yeah. A bit obsessed I am." He chuckled. I smiled and handed it to him.

"Ere. I'm done with it anyways."

He took it. "Thanks. So em....You know anytime we meet, things seem to be awkward. Why not start off new?"

"I'd like that." I extended my hand out to him. "I'm George Harrison."

"Eric Clapton." He smiled.

..

Two hours later

"So long 'ave you and your girl known each other?" He asked, putting out his cig. I yawned and layed back.

"A few months now. Since I moved 'ere, me three mates 'ave really helped me fit in. Well....we all quite dont fit in but....together we find a place ye know? I dunno, Olivia she's different. She just caught me eye and stayed there."

He smiled and sat back on the carpeted floor. "How serious is it?"

I shrugged. "I'm only fourteen. I take it very seriously but...I don't think any others will understand. We'll see where we are in two years and I'll get back to you."

He nodded and grabbed his coat. "It's gettin late. I should shove off."

"Yeah. Hey um..it was nice meetin you."

"It was nice meetin ye too mate. Maybe we can meet up again and you can show me how ye work on that guitar of yours? Riff together." He laughed. I smiled.

"I'd like that. Let me walk you down."

We made our way out of the bedroom and downstairs to the living room. Mum and dad in the kitchen having coffee while Richard watched telly, Olivia leaning her head in his lap as she slept.

"Aye, back from the dead yeah?" Rich smiled.

"Keeping her warm yeah?" I made a face.

"She's the one who rested up on me. I can't help it." I gave me an innocent, sarcastic smile.

"Fuck off. I'll be back."

He nodded and resumed his telly watching. I walked Eric out, across the street, to his front door.

"I'll see ye around alright?" He smiled.

"Yeah of course. Don't be shy to come over." I said shivering.

We said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways. It's always nice making new friends.

...........