Chapter 14.

Mum was making dinner as I walked into me flat. The smell of spaghetti filled the air. I walked into the kitchen, slumping my school bag onto the floor.

"Oh hiya. You're home." Was all she said. I just nodded and grabbed a soda from the fridge.

"Mum? Is it alright if I invite me mates for dinner? Just...so ye can see they're not bad."

She sighed and turned to face me. "I dunno George. I don't know if I made enough."

"Please mum. I already invited them. Dinner isn't until two more hours." I made a sad face. She thought about it for a few seconds then nodded.

"Fine. I'll tell your father."

I walked up to her and kissed her cheek. "Thanks mum. I love you."

She smiled and turned back to making food. "I love you too son. Now get on to your homework."

I nodded and grabbed my bag off the floor, making my way to my room. I set my drink on the nightstand and plopped down on my bed. I stared up at the ceiling and rested my hands behind my head.

The lads will be by soon. What will my parents think of them? Will this change anything? It was worth a try. I told them to be on their best behaviour and not to fuck things up. Especially John and his big mouth.

John. Tracy. I sighed and sat up. I'll need to have a chat with her tomorrow in class. Just cause John's a dickhead, doesn't mean I am. I have a reputation to look after.

..

Two Hours Later

We all sat at the table, eating in an awkward silence. Mum and dad eating while the lads ate. I seemed to be the only nervous person here. I cleared my throat. Richard looked up at me. I made a face for him to start conversation.

"Uh, so missus Harrison, This is really delicious. Good job." He awkwardly leaned over and patted her back. I shut my eyes and shook my head. Mum just smiled.

"Thanks love."

Dad noticed my nervousness. He broke the tension.

"So, my son tells me you lot are in a band?"

"Oh yes. A very great one at that." Paul smiled.

"Were not really that good though are we?" John said looking at Paul.

"Yeah...were terrible actually. Shite."

My mum looked at him and he cleared his throat. "I mean, just terrible. Uh, but that was until George 'ere joined the band. See our last guitarist, Keith..."

"He uh, fucked my girlfriend and was a down right knobhead." John muttered. "Excuse my language. But um, look, George 'ere has really motivated us and moved us along. Were writin music again, gettin along..."

"Plus, he's a really smart lad. I know he's been skipping classes and doin some pretty bad things since he's met us but...he's still a good kid missus Harrison. Please don't ban him from bein in this band." Paul said looking back and forth at me parents. I smiled to myself, hearing me mates speak so highly of me. I knew it wouldn't happen again for awhile.

Mum sighed and nodded. "I guess I was a bit harsh on George. But I don't appreciate ye showin him your bad ways. He's only fourteen."

"I understand ma'am." Paul said quietly. Richard was too busy eating throughout the entire conversation.

"I'll give George his guitars back....as long as you make sure he's home at a decent time."

John nodded and sighed. "There's um, something else."

I bit my lip and watched as John spoke. "There's an um, Competition next month...in New York..."

"No."

"But mum! Come on we'll 'ave a chance at a record deal and..."

"I said no George! Look I don't mind if ye 'ave your little gigs 'ere in town but...you're not travelin all the way to New York with your friends!"

"Mum!" I yelled. She got up and took her plate.

"That's the end of it! Nice to meet you lads. But George will not be accompanying ye on your little trip."

I glared at her as she stormed off. Plates slamming, things crashing. Dad sighed.

"I'm sorry George. I'll talk to her."

"It's no use dad. She won't change her mind. I just want to go to bed. Thanks for coming." I said to the lads. They got up as I led them to the door.

"Come on George. She might change her mind."

"I dunno. Let's just focus on makin music for now. I'm tired."

"I understand George. We'll see ye tomorrow yeah?" John smiled and patted my arm. I nodded as they all left, thanking me for dinner. I closed the door and stormed upstairs, slamming my bedroom door.

....