Twenty

Casey

Halloween

She didn't regret? Was it possibly the beer talking? I groan as the headache grows more painfully. I haven't slept at all last night. And it was finally catching up to me. I force myself from my bed and into my restroom. Opening, my mirror cabinet, I retrieve a bottle of Aspirin. I dump a pill into my hand before placing the bottle back in it's place.

I exit my restroom and head into my kitchen. I stop in my tracks as I notice the familiar body on my couch. His brown eyes meet mine before glancing back at my TV. I roll my eyes and continue towards my kitchen. Once I get a bottle water, I take my aspirin.

"Why are you here?" I question the boy in my living room. 

He takes a few seconds to himself before answering. "I was wondering why you couldn't make it yesterday so I came over to see if there would be a woman exiting your room. But I haven't seen anyone, so then why did you lie about not being able to come over yesterday?"

I scoff and roll my eyes. I know he wasn't trying to play victim. "What reason do I have to lie to you? You should know me by now Edwin, if I have something to say, I'll say it to your damn face" I spit. 

"Then what were you doing yesterday?" 

"I went out with a friend."

The boy turns to me. "Casey, I get that you're mad at Cassandra and I for not telling you about us but pushing either of us away isn't going to make our relationship any better. You're my best friend Casey, I'm sorry I didn't tell you about us. I just thought you weren't ready to hear that kind of news."

"You know Edwin, best friends don't keep secrets from each other. When I found out I was gay, you were the first person I told because I knew no matter what, you'd support me. I told you all of my secrets, many of them were embarrassing. But I never kept something away from you. If the roles were switched you'd understand my feelings. If you had a sister and I was dating her for a year without telling you, you'd understand."

Our conversation stops as knocking is heard at my door. I sigh and head towards my door. I open it, not knowing who to expect. But at the sight of Cassandra only further ignites my anger. "I don't want to fight" is the first thing she says.

I shrug my shoulders and let her in. I close the door behind her. "I don't know if you two heard, but last night there was a group of teenagers who tried to rob a liquor store. Want to guess who one of them was?" Cassandra says. She takes a seat next to Edwin.

I raise my brow in question. "Who?" Edwin asks. I watch in pure disgust as his hand lands on her leg, rubbing it. I'm going to be sick. "Eric Brown. Your little Halloween party thrower."

"What does that mean? The party is canceled?"

"What else could it mean idiot. He's either in a jail cell or his parents have him under lockdown" I spit towards Edwin in annoyance. Fucking great. This Saturday was starting off terrible. Well minus the memory of kissing Kathryn. I smile at the thought. 

But what did this mean? We're just going to do nothing this Halloween? Does this town know how many annoyed teens there will be? "So what are we going to do?"

Cassandra eyes me. "Duke and Diana are trying to get something together. You know their parents could care less what they do as long as their safe is safe and nothing in the house gets trashed."

"They need you two to text around, tell people where the new spot for tonight's party is going to be. Diana and I are of legal age so we're buying all the booze. But this party is obviously not going to be like Eric's since Diana and I are college students. So it's going to be a mix. A few of the Frat idiots at her school are willing to help as well."