Fifty-seven

Kathryn

My eyes move from the gold chain wrapped around the base of her neck to the white Hollister long sleeve shirt and down to her ripped black jeans and white vans. Casey looked delectable, however, she was standing on the other end of the hallway. I was beginning to regret prohibiting her from interacting with me during school hours.

I groan as I enter my classroom. Just one more week then spring break would be in play. And not even 48 hours after the break is over, all seniors would be in Tampa Florida for a week. I wasn't ready for it. It might not have been obvious but I'm clingy, even a few hours away from Casey Kings is hell.

My ears perk when I hear knocking at my door, my heart skips a beat in hope that it would be Casey. To my blatant dismay, in comes Naomi. She smiles as she greets me, entering my classroom. She hands me a sheet of paper, "The school is going to have classes for seniors and juniors during spring break for those who need to get the right amount of credits to graduate. Principal Espinoza informed me a few minutes ago that the two of us are scheduled to be there."

My mouth hangs ajar. "What? I already have plans" I complain as I take the paper. 

Naomi nods her head in agreement, "We would get paid during this break." Naomi doesn't say anything else as she exits my classroom, leaving me to pout. That will be 2 weeks without spending majority of my time with Casey Kings. But then again, it was probably needed.

The ringing bell grabs my attention and I make my way towards my door to greet my students. Glancing down the hallway I spot a particular brown-skinned already eyeing me. She sends me her breathtaking smile before making her way towards her classroom. 

Once the second bell rings, I shut my door and glance at my class. "Good morning all, I hope you all had a great weekend. If you all have heard from last week, today we will not be learning anything. In a few minutes, we will be heading to the gym for the school's annual pep rally."

My students all cheered, grateful that we wouldn't be going over work. "With that being said, you can go ahead and get out your homework. You all had since Friday to get it completed. I will not be taking late work for the rest of the semester."

I move around the room collecting their homework, overall pleased that I was receiving more than usual. Just as I finished gathering the paperwork the announcements were on. 

They released us all by hallways, starting upstairs first then moving downstairs. My hallway was last to be called to the gym. Students raided the hallways to get to the gymnasium, excited for this upcoming rally. I immediately find Emily and we walk side by side behind the students.

"Finally a damn break from these kids. I love teaching but I'm starting to think once the seniors graduate, I'll go to Elementary."

I scrunch my nose at her suggestion, "Children are more difficult to deal with. Imagine little kids running around not listening to you. At least with teenagers, they know what they're doing wrong."

Emily chuckles and rolls her eyes, "And with teenagers, you have to deal with horny guys, popularity getting to their head and dramatic girls. At least with children, you don't have to deal with teenage rebellion."

I nod my head, she had a point. I'm startled when I feel a hand on the small of my back. I jump slightly and turn to my left, spotting Casey. I frown as I glance behind us, making sure no one was watching. "Your class should've been here by now. What are you doing?" I question as we near the gymnasium. Casey smiles, "I may or may not have hid in the restroom and waited for you."