Seventy-seven

Kathryn

I lift myself on my elbows, my eyes landing on the sleeping beauty beside me. I smile and lean over capturing her lips. "Happy birthday, baby" I mutter against her lips, knowing she couldn't hear me. I stretch my arms and legs before getting out of bed. My eyes land on the sleeping girl once more before I head into the restroom.

I brush my teeth and fix my hair. Yawning into my hand, I realize today was going to be a very long day. Especially since I had planned to go out with Casey tonight. I couldn't let her beat me for 'best gifts' given on a birthday. Albeit, nothing could possibly amount to the ring resting on my finger, but I had come up with a plan.

A very good one. Exiting the restroom, I notice Casey on my side of the bed. "Why are you up so early?" she questions, eyes too tired to remain open. "I have things to do."

Casey groans, "Stay in bed with me. I promise it'll be 100% better than whatever it is you have to do." Chuckling, I approach the girl still lying in bed. I place my knee in the bed, causing her eyes to open slightly as she eyes me. I press my lips against her temple, "Go back to sleep baby" I mutter.

The girl frowns, "Kathryn get back into bed!"

"I can't" I laugh, pushing her hand away from my leg. The girl pouts, "Please?"

Smiling, I shake my head. I move her hair from her cheek, kissing her once again. "Go to sleep, okay?" With a sigh, the girl closes her eyes, giving in to my request. I can't help but smile at her as I force myself away from the bed. I can't even make it to my living room as I feel arms wrap around my legs.

"Casey put me down" I laugh, slapping her bareback. She ignores my pleas, taking me back into the bedroom. The brown-skinned girl lays me down onto the bed before climbing on top of my body. "Baby--" I start but she cuts me off. "No Kathryn. I don't care what you had planned for today. As the birthday girl, I say we stay in bed and sleep."

I smile at my girlfriend. "Well can you at least get off of me? You aren't exactly light."

Brown eyes land on me, pondering her decision. She sighs, rolling off of me and laying beside me on her back. I take in a deep breath. "Now go to sleep" she demands. I smile and nod my head, plotting my escape. I close my eyes for a few seconds, expecting the beauty beside me to fall asleep first.

I hear her swallow before she moves closer to me. With her face buried near my ear, it becomes harder to move away. The minute I move, she'll wrap her arm around me and keep me pinned in bed. "You are beautiful, Kathryn."

My eyes widen as I glance at Casey. "Why so sudden?" I question.

Her deep brown eyes meet mine. They venture away from my eyes and to my lips, tempting me to lean in and capture hers. "I feel like I haven't told you enough. Like I've been slacking from our first date. I just really want you to know you are so beautiful to me and I love you so much."

I glance away from the girl, feeling my heart hammer against my ribcage. I've heard her say it so many times, yet somehow hearing those words fall from her lips always seems to make my heart go crazy. "Shut up, just go to sleep" I groan turning away from the woman.

Casey wraps her arm around my waist, pulling me closer. Her soft lips press gently against my shoulder blade. 

- - - - -

"Edwin you're supposed to come in unnoticed" I hear Casey's voice in my living room. I squeeze my eyes tight, not wanting to wake up. It was Casey's fault I was too comfortable to leave the bed. "I apologize. I saw her near the office and had to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It's not like you'd ever tell me 'Hey Eddie, buddy, keep a watch out for Bella my ex.' And I'm supposed to be your best friend Casey."