Sixty-six

Casey

"I think she's asleep right now" I sigh as I glance at Emily. Her eyes remain on the ground in disbelief. We knew something was wrong, but we didn't want to believe it was because Mr. Rossen was back in Houston. Though she had predicted the man was back, she didn't know he was abusing the brunette.

I sit on the hood of my car, my eyes watching her carefully. She's speechless, to say the least. She still hadn't seen Kathryn since yesterday. She was unaware of the bruises and scars on her body since the woman had been avoiding her every chance she got. 

She was distraught. She didn't know how to take the news. Her emotions were everywhere. I wasn't sure I should showcase Kathryn's state to all of our friends, but I knew Emily was a must. I swallow my spit, trying to moisten my throat. Houston's heat added on to the fire brewing in my stomach wasn't exactly a swell mix.

It was taking everything in my body not to jump into my car and give Rai a piece of my mind. But after arriving home yesterday night, my parents informed me that if I did anything reckless, I could possibly kiss college goodbye. No college wanted a fighter at their school. But not just that, I could risk being able to graduate on time with my class.

So I had to keep my temper in check. Calm and collected. Not just for me but for Kathryn as well. She needs me right now. This is going to be very hard on her for the next few days until we figure out how to get that man in jail.

"Is she staying here with you?" Emily questions.

I nod my head. She glances at me, "I think it would be better if she comes to stay with Sophia and I. I'm sure your parents are uncomfortable letting her stay here since she's your..." she trails. She looks away awkwardly "And you have a twin bed, will that be big enough for the two of you? Or are you sleeping on the couch in the living room to respect her privacy?"

I roll my eyes. I knew she was slightly being petty. Now that I was no longer with Kathryn, she felt as though she was solely responsible for the womans' wellbeing. "I know you feel indifferent about her being here and you not being able to protect her but Emily if Rai finds out where you live how are you going to protect Sophia and Kathryn? I know you feel like it's your responsibility to be there for her but she has me too. My dad's a veteran. She's safe here."

The blonde sighs, her eyes searching mine as she tried to reason with me but she knew I was right. "You're right. I just. I feel like I failed her Case. I'm her best-fucking-friend there are things I should immediately pinpoint that no one else can. And I ignored it. I let her push me away because I thought that was what she needed."

I nod my head, knowing exactly that feeling she was explaining to me. "She's always going to look at me differently now. The one person she relied on the most to help her out and I did nothing but let it happen."

I get up from my car and approach the woman. "She won't."

She sighs, shaking her head. "You two are talking about me behind my back now, that's dirty" we hear. I immediately smile as my eyes land on Kathryn. She was dressed in my clothing, looking as beautiful as ever. It still pained me knowing that under her clothes were bruises and scars. And she was showing a smile, hiding her sorrow.

Emily quickly pulls the woman in for a hug. Kathryn stops for a few seconds before her arms wrap around the blonde. They remain like that for a few seconds longer until Kathryn feels awkward. She chuckles and rubs the back of her neck as her eyes find me. "You need to tell us everything, now" Emily hisses.

The brunette frowned, not wanting to think about him. I narrow my eyes and hop off of my car. I make my way towards the women, my eyes landing on Kathryn's exposed neck. She notices and subconsciously tries to cover the bruise marks but I stop her. I bite my cheek as I glance at the purple handprints on her skin.