Ten

Kathryn

A month and a half had gone by of me being neighbors with Casey Kings. Our friendship had grown as well as my attraction for her. And I guess you could say being in a relationship with someone else was only making it harder to be myself. I sigh as Emily places a cup of coffee in front of me. I glance up at the glaring blonde and take a sip of the drink.

"You seem bugged out" she states the obvious, sitting in front of me. I nod my head and lean back into my chair. I was bugged out. I was continuing a 5 year relationship with the man I thought was the love of my life and on the other hand I was attracted and fantasizing about a student who attends the school I work at.

My life is falling apart. "Want to talk about it?" Em questions with raised brows. With a sigh, I nod my head. I play with my fingers before glancing up to her crystal blues. "I like someone else" I mutter, "someone who isn't Thomas."

It seemed as though my confession had no affect on her. She didn't seem fazed at all and it kind of irritated me. I take a sip of my coffee just as she speaks. "Is it Casey?" The burning liquid travels down the wrong pipe and I cough roughly, trying to catch my breath. How the hell did she know I liked Casey? Was I that obvious? Did that mean others noticed it too?

Once I catch my breath, I eye the woman in front of me in confusion. She doesn't say anything, forcing me to agree with her accusations. I nod my head before placing it down onto the table. "You seriously have a thing for the worst people ever" she sighs. I whine out, knowing she was right. I did. I always had a bad habit of dating the worst people or being attracted to the worst.

But Casey was different. She wasn't a bad person, it was our situation that was bad. Had we met a different way, I'd have a different viewpoint about everything. "Well at least she's cute" Emily comments. I glance at my best friend with a glare.

Being attracted to people meant jealousy came along with it. And maybe I was jealous that she was calling Casey cute. Maybe. "Why do you like her I mean besides her good looks and being smart as hell..?"

I lean back into my chair as I think about Casey. "What's not to like about her? She's smart, beautiful, funny, she's got the prettiest smile. I just love her smile so much and her eyes are so distracting. Every time our skin touches, I feel this surge of electricity and warmth..." I ramble. My eyes meet Emily's, noticing her smile.

"What?" I question staring at her in question. I was utterly baffled by her expression. "You talk about her in a way I can't explain" she spits.

"Is that good?" I question. "It's amazing. But goddamn Kathryn! Why? Why did you have to talk this way about a student?"

"Excuse me?"

"I've been waiting for the longest for you to have that certain gleam in your eyes when you describe the person you love to me. I looked for it when you talked about Thomas or Erin or Gerald, and never did I see it."

I blush and scoff, "I-I don't love Casey. It's just a stupid crush" I wave it off. Emily frowns and shakes her head at me. "It's not stupid. The situation is just fucked up."

The sound of the front door opening, caught our attention. In came Sophia and Cane. They noticed the energy in the atmosphere and stared between the two of us, puzzled. Sophia sets her purse on the table and takes a seat beside her wife, placing a kiss on her cheek. Cane sat beside me with a warm smile.

"What were you two talking about?" Sophia questions, running her finger through Emily's blonde locks. Emily clears her throat and glances at me. We both knew lying would do us no good. We were practically communicating with our eyes before I speak up.