Forty-seven

Kathryn

I was beginning to regret telling Casey to stop seeing me during school hours. I hadn't realized how much her presence gave me energy until she stopped coming by. I was more than glad that the weekend was here. I wanted to spend as much time with Casey as possible. 

I glance into the cafe just down the street from our apartments. My feet stop as I spot Casey sitting at one of the tables. I frown remembering she told me she'd be busy this morning, so why was she lounging around in a cafe? Was this something she couldn't invite me for? I eye the girl through the glass a bit longer until I feel someone bump into me.

My eyes are pulled away from my girlfriend and lands on the new face I'd grown a bit accustomed to. "Oh, Good morning Kathryn" Naomi smiles.

"Morning, Naomi. How are you?" I question making small talk. The woman smiles and pushes her hair behind her ear. "Great! I actually have a date and I'm kind of nervous" she admits.

I chuckle, "Nothing to be nervous about, you're a beautiful woman. I'm sure your date will love you" I smile kindly. She sighs and glances into the cafe. "I sure hope you're right about that."

My brows knit together as I follow her line of sight and sure enough, her eyes were on Casey Kings. I clench my jaw and try to hide my jealousy. Casey didn't mention anything about a date. "Uh, who's the lucky man?" I question, maybe I was overthinking it.

Naomi smiles, "Lady actually. Do you see the girl in the cafe? Her name's Casey. We met last week, I helped her pay for her coffee and asked for her number. She's really beautiful and nice."

I bite harshly on my cheek to stop myself from saying anything rude. Surely if Casey were having a date, she would tell me. Maybe it slipped her mind, maybe she would tell me later on in the day. I couldn't just get mad at her so quickly, I had to be understanding. "Well, I hope you have a fun date. I should get going" I say.

Naomi shoots me a smile. She walks around me and enters the cafe. I glance into the cafe watching as she approached Casey. I watch my girlfriend set her phone down and stand to greet the woman. I grit my teeth and force my eyes away and force myself not to linger on the two. 

- - - - -

"Maybe you just saw incorrectly. I don't think Casey's the type to cheat" Emily sighs and pats my back. I groan loudly before taking another sip of my beer. I didn't want to think Casey was the cheating type, I doubted she was that kind of person, but why else would she hide such a thing from me? No one doesn't tell their girlfriend they have a date.

I would be fine if she had told me beforehand that she had a date because that means I can trust her to tell me the truth. But she didn't. I didn't even know she knew Naomi. They met a week ago? Has she been texting her? Have they been flirting? What was it about Naomi that Casey didn't want to tell me?

"You're in your head again. Kathryn, Casey wouldn't cheat on you. Maybe she didn't tell you because she didn't think it was important."

I frown at my best friends. "You know Em, you're so full of shit" I spit. I could feel the alcohol getting to me. I was on my 6th bottle anyways. The blonde furrows her brows at my tone so I continue to elaborate. "If I was still with Thomas or anyone else, immediately they're cheating on me. But now that my partner is a girl you doubt she'd cheat."

"Kathryn it's not that--"

"Then what is it? Why are you so biased towards women? Not all women are better than men! I bet if Casey were a man you would be all on her case and claiming how much he was a cheat and such a bad partner."